Weighing Options

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by Rye, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Rye

Rye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm in the market for some new gear. I've been using a 6D for a few years now. The image quality is fantastic but the focusing system is potato and I find myself needing better. I do have a 7D which I bought as a backup to my 6D. The 7D was great and I ended up favoring it over the 6D much of the time but unfortunately something went wrong in the electronics and the camera is dead.

I photograph people, portraits, events, and sports for work. Nature, wildlife and astrophotography as a hobby. There are definitely times one camera would work better than the other or times when it would just come in handy to have two cameras at hand.

My options are:

1. Sell my 6D and get a 5D Mark III. I really like the idea of a 5D Mark III. It would do everything I need and I would have a camera that focuses. The downside is I wouldn't have a backup or a second body.

2. Keep the 6D and get a 7D Mark II. I would still use the 6D in 6D situations and I'd have the 7D Mark II for backup and 7D Mark II situations. I also like the video capabilities of the 7D Mark II.

3. Get another old 7D and maybe some new glass.

What would you folks do?

2. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd actually hold off till the 7Dmkiii is released. I'm hoping it will be a major upgrade to the old 7D I'm currently shooting with.

3. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It could be a bit of a wait for a 7D III. Although Canon Rumors (and others) have posted "rumors" on the 7D III, Canon Rumors gives their posts a credibility rating (CR) and both of the rumors have a CR0 score (worst credibility).

They explain their rating system here: The Canon Rumors Rating System Explained

Basically:

CR3 - take it as fact
    CR2 - rumor came from a reliable source
    CR1 - rumor came from an unconfirmed source
    CR0 - joke/prank, etc.

The 7D came out in Sept 2009
    The 7D II came out in Sept 2014 (5 years later)
    It's now been 3 years (but the last release was 5 years between models)

Usually if a camera release is really on the horizon, they start to get rumors from reliable sources (you'd see 'CR2' ranked rumors). I haven't seen any of those, nor even a CR1 level rumor... just a couple of CR0 rumors.

If you don't need to replace a camera and can sit and wait another year or two... then it's possible that we're just a year or two away... maybe you wait it out.

If you need a camera within a few months... get the current offering (don't wait). I'm fairly confident you're not going to see a 7D III within a few months.

4. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    if I did events and portraits for "work" I'd get at 1DX or used or refurb 1DX2 or used 5D4

5. Rye

Rye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ended up with a refurb 7D Mark II and keeping the 6D. Sweet camera. I couldn't be more pleased.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I think you made a good choice. Both cameras are quite different and made for different things, so it makes sense to have them both.