weird cancelled order

manaf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently ordered 4 point and shoot cameras, all one kind from one of the biggest web stores for photography. Not too long after I received an email from them to call back for "security reasons", so I called and I was told that I might be reselling the cameras and therefore they are canceling the order!? these cameras were supposed to be for me and the other three for donation in our church.
Today I went to the closest retail store for electronics and bought the same cameras little more expensive plus sales tax :(. It was not a big deal, but cant believe how these sales people decide that I am reseller and why are they so scared of that possibility even that i have nothing to do with selling cameras??

That is very strange.

Did not think a sales person will even care.

Can you tell us which web store?

That is very strange.

Did not think a sales person will even care.

Can you tell us which web store?

Even if he was reselling and they did have reason to care, it's still none of their business.

abesofmaine

edit: I think all these web based photo stores have some policy obligation with the manufactures in order for them to be authorized dealer, I guess they are just trying to keep their business out of the gray market or something..

abesofmaine

edit: I think all these web based photo stores have some policy obligation with the manufactures in order for them to be authorized dealer, I guess they are just trying to keep their business out of the gray market or something..
If I buy and resell, it's not "gray market."

Why would they even care, they're getting the money, isn't that the whole reason to be in a business?

Why would they even care, they're getting the money, isn't that the whole reason to be in a business?

well, you guys tell me :), I thought so too.. I was even going to ask for some additional discount, but instead i got cold non sense making shower :)).

I know that one of my local camera store would red flag a purchase like that. Part of the reason is that they have had trouble with people using stolen credit cards to buy cameras for quick turn around. So anyone who wants to buy '4 of the same camera' sends up the warning signals.

It's probably best for them to turn down the odd sale like this...because of the lessened chance of being ripped off.

Did you try other on-line stores like B&H or Adorama?

My guess is it's fraud prevention. Having said that, 4 cheap compact cameras is not the style of the fraud people. I'd avoid abesofmaine on principal anyway. I've heard bad things about them for years - things that don't show up on any of the ratings radar.

My guess is it's fraud prevention. Having said that, 4 cheap compact cameras is not the style of the fraud people. I'd avoid abesofmaine on principal anyway. I've heard bad things about them for years - things that don't show up on any of the ratings radar.

To be honest I have purchased other electronics from them and I was quite happy, till that moment :meh:.. Even though they were sometimes annoying by offering additional accessories. They had my credit card info from before and the charge was approved by my CC company already, so it should not be considered as fraud in my opinion.
I called two other stores just out of curiosity. Vanns said the same thing "we do not sell to resellers". They refused to give more explanations. B&H said they have no problem with bigger orders. Even if I buy more, they could give me better price, and thats the right way for business I think :).

I just don't get it then. They must not be very serious businessmen in that case. A business is in business to make money.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of business acumen I see around me.

Most reactions

Back