Weird Colors from Huey??

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought my first monitor callibration device. I got the pantone huey.

I did the calibration and now my display looks like it has a pinkish tone to it. why is this?

also, after calibrating, when i hold a print up to my screen to compare colors, it still has significant color differences. why is this?

1 - Hueys are know to be VERY difficult to use properly.

2 - You are not trying to calibrate an LCD monitor by chance? That adds to the issues as well.

ahhhhh lol.

Yes I have an LCD Screen. It is an Apple Intel iMac.

What do i do?

Cool. Thanks guys I will try that.

But, what is the point of calibrating?

And Do I still need a custom ICC Profile to make my prints match my screen EXACTLY?

And Do I still need a custom ICC Profile to make my prints match my screen EXACTLY?

Whoever said turn off the lights is positively wrong. The Huey reads the ambient light, that's why it stays connected and keeps reading the light from time to time. It keeps the balance the same to compensate for ambient light.

Check the Gamma, which is different for a Mac than for a PC.

There's a box at start up for calibration that asks LCD or CRT. Make sure you have the checked correctly.

LCDs are different from CRTs but Macs are so good on some models that they look like CRT colors. You didn't say matte screen or glossy, and didn't say which model of Huey.

I mean this in good humor, but if all else fails, read the instructions. :lol:

I don't own a Mac, so have pity on my poor display that needs A Huey more than yours does.

ICC profiles are CRUCIAL when printing.

I actually get very good results using the permajet and Ilford standard profiles for the papers I use. Would probably get better results with a custom profile.

When you do calibrate your monitor it's likely the change will be pretty significant. You may just not be used to looking at your monitor that way.

Prints are another matter..... :)

Yes get yourself a decent profile then report bavk :)

Good luck.

Whoever said turn off the lights is positively wrong. The Huey reads the ambient light, that's why it stays connected and keeps reading the light from time to time. It keeps the balance the same to compensate for ambient light.

Check the Gamma, which is different for a Mac than for a PC.

There's a box at start up for calibration that asks LCD or CRT. Make sure you have the checked correctly.

LCDs are different from CRTs but Macs are so good on some models that they look like CRT colors. You didn't say matte screen or glossy, and didn't say which model of Huey.

I mean this in good humor, but if all else fails, read the instructions. :lol:

I don't own a Mac, so have pity on my poor display that needs A Huey more than yours does.

There are no formal instructions that came with the Huey (and I bought it Brand New). It only comes with a "quick start" manual, which tells only the VERY basic things.

And I have a Intel iMac with a matte screen and I have just the plain Huey.

Should I try CRT? And if I do, how do i know which one will be right?

ICC profiles are CRUCIAL when printing.

I actually get very good results using the permajet and Ilford standard profiles for the papers I use. Would probably get better results with a custom profile.

When you do calibrate your monitor it's likely the change will be pretty significant. You may just not be used to looking at your monitor that way.

Prints are another matter..... :)

Yes get yourself a decent profile then report bavk :)

Good luck.

I have an ICC Profile that came standard with the printer.

Im asking about CUSTOM Profiles.

If you're asking this question then you won't get anywhere near the word EXACTLY. You need:

- Calibrated monitor. Not just colour, but brightness, and contrast ratio too.
- Predetermined room lighting inline with whatever your working profile normally is.
- Calibrated printer.
- Software capable of softproofing the printer's ICC profile to the monitor profile (this is easy Photoshop does this).
- A calibrated viewing booth for the photo.
- Way more time and effort that any one photo deserves outside of corporations that survive only on the strictest of colour matching (Pantone, x-rite etc)

Now eliminate the word EXACTLY and you can use the profile which came with your printer (printer colours do not change colour like monitors do so the supplied profiles are usually reasonably accurate), softproof using the printer profile after you setup your screen, and you should have a reasonably good looking print despite not being able to directly match it to the screen.

If you're asking this question then you won't get anywhere near the word EXACTLY. You need:

- Calibrated monitor. Not just colour, but brightness, and contrast ratio too.
- Predetermined room lighting inline with whatever your working profile normally is.
- Calibrated printer.
- Software capable of softproofing the printer's ICC profile to the monitor profile (this is easy Photoshop does this).
- A calibrated viewing booth for the photo.
- Way more time and effort that any one photo deserves outside of corporations that survive only on the strictest of colour matching (Pantone, x-rite etc)

Now eliminate the word EXACTLY and you can use the profile which came with your printer (printer colours do not change colour like monitors do so the supplied profiles are usually reasonably accurate), softproof using the printer profile after you setup your screen, and you should have a reasonably good looking print despite not being able to directly match it to the screen.

Okay, "EXACTLY" was an exageration. I just want to have colors that are pretty close, like almost a profesional photographer's standard.

So basically, since my monitor is now calibrated and I turned of soft proofing for the printer profile i will be using, my prints should pretty closely match.

BUT THEY DO NOT lol.

In all my snow pics, on the print out the snow has a yellowish tint and on the screen with soft proofing on it looks perfectly white.

Why is this and how do i fix it?

Last edited:
How so? It seems pretty simple to use to me...

If you do a search at a few photography forums, that will answer that question. Seems that very few people like them, and even fewer can get good results with them. You very well could be one of the few that can actually get it to give you good results. :)

Firstly does the profile match the paper? Even basic printers like a Canon Pixmar series will come with about 6 different profiles for various canon papers and other equivalents. Also when you soft proof do you make sure that the photoshop print settings match the soft proofing and that the printer driver itself has colour management completely disabled?

Firstly does the profile match the paper? Even basic printers like a Canon Pixmar series will come with about 6 different profiles for various canon papers and other equivalents. Also when you soft proof do you make sure that the photoshop print settings match the soft proofing and that the printer driver itself has colour management completely disabled?

Yes I did pick the right profile and I did print with thatsame profile and the color manegment through Epsom is turned off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back