weird flashing in my photos

frogsbreath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i am brand new for digital photography.

I was taking a few pictures yesterday when i got some weird flashing in the background and not sure what to make of it. i have a Nikon D80.

any ideas?

P.s. this is with both flash and no flash.

Without seeing the photos, it may be hard to know what happened.:sexywink:

Was it while reviewing the pictures after shooting? And if so, was it only the bright areas of the photograph flashing from white to black? If that is the case, then you'll have your camera's playback mode on "Highlights". Press down or up on the D-pad until you can see the a time, date, and your image's filename.

If it isn't that, however, then we'll need some pics to determine what's up. :)

Yes. I have a Nikon D50 and my guess would be that you have "highlights" turned on. My D50 does the same flashing when it shows the highlights.

That is the highlight function, what it does is let you know what areas of your photo have no details in the highlights.

On the d80, just turn the wheel underneath the on/off switch two times to the left and that should get rid of the flashing. You have to have a picture on the screen at the time.

bear in mind that the highlight warning is there to let you know if you've lost detail in some areas of the photo. So turning it off just hides the problem. It's better to adjust your exposure to avoid it. Exposure compensation can help with this.

If you arent zoomed in the just bump your thumb switch on the back up or, down till it goes away.

Hang on. it's a tool to help get better exposed photos. Why is everyone saying how to turn it off?

ok yep it was the highlight function thanks everyone :)

sorry very much a noob :) just figured out my light meeter the other day lol

froggy

ok yep it was the highlight function thanks everyone :)

sorry very much a noob :) just figured out my light meeter the other day lol

froggy

That same thing took me several days to figure out when I got my first D80... there is absolutely nothing in the manual that describes it.

Most reactions

Back