Weird Funky Kinda Halo thingy???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sirashley, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sirashley

Sirashley TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a few questions for you guys. First one is, I did an exposure blend on this photo and got a funky kinda halo in the sky. How can I avoid that in the future and what causes that? I don't think the halo was in the original exposure but when I blended them it showed up. Second question is, which of these two is better? and why? I'm still learning the whole post-production process so if you have any suggestions please fire away... Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd need more info on exactly what you did in processing to say exactly how the halo was created, but this is a typical artifact created by some sharpening techniques or local contrast manipulations along high contrast edges.

3. K8-90

K8-90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    By "exposure blend", do you mean an HDR?

I prefer the first image, as the colours seem more acurate. The second appears too yellow. However, I like the brightness of the second...

4. Sirashley

Sirashley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I called it a Exposure blend because it was one exposure and I adjusted the light values and created three exposures -2, 0, +2. So without touching off another is it or is it not HDR, I just called it exposure blend...LOL... so technically, it's a "Fake HDR"

5. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Considering there's an original image somewhere with a properly exposed sky and no halo, you could pretty easily correct the halo via photoshop layers and some hand touch-ups.

Agreed.

6. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm afraid I can't help you with your question, but I suspect that it was Photoshop slightly misinterpreting the exposure compensation values of the photos. Or something :D.

As for which one is my favourite, I'd probably say that I don't have one. I love the colour rendition and saturation of the first one, but I like the brightness of the boat in the second.