weird professional cameras

im_trying11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so this summer i was at dew tour, and saw some awkward cameras. i was wondering what the might be? they were like a rectangle with 2 lenses. i think it was a twin lense that is what i saw on b&h. what do they do special

Medium format cameras..... Super high Quality like 65mp

That sounds like a TLR - twin lens reflex. Far from being awkward, many of us find them very easy and pleasant to use. The upper lens forms an image on a ground glass screen that you view from above, and the lower lens takes the picture. They are very quiet, because there is no mirror to flip up, and they can use a leaf shutter in the lens. I use them regularly.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article on them.

I don't think that there are any digital models in production, apart from a miniature one that is more of a novelty than a serious camera.

Best,
Helen

Far from being awkward, many of us find them very easy and pleasant to use.

I personally have always enjoyed handling them and shooting with them... they do odd to one not accustomed to them, but once you actually get one in your hands and start shooting with it you realize what a cool camera it is.

I used to use a pair of TLRs, 6x6 and 6x4.5, very nice cameras to use, I currently have several vintage ones, I really need to find the one with the best lens quality and put it to use.

are they better than say a d3 or d700

better how? its not going to have autofocus or anything fancy like that.

The range in cheap to quite exspensive. Obliviously the more exspensive ones have better lens meaning better image quality. A Lot of them do not have a meter either.

That said, it will depend on who you ask, personally Id take a TLR over one of the nikons, simply because I enjoy manual cameras and shooting film.

Better is subjective, my TLRs had only manual focus, shutter speed selection and aperture selection, no buttons, no lcds, no light meter, just the very basics necessary to take a photograph.

A D3 or a D700 is far more technically advanced but in the hands of a skilled photographer you would be able to get a better quality image out of the TLR capable of being blown up to a far greater size.

You decide which is "better".

The TLR is the ancestor of the SLR (single lens reflex). An SLR has a mirror that flips out of place allowing the photographer to compose and shoot through the same lens. A twin lens reflex doesn't have a moving mirror, so it needs a lens for the photographer to compose with, and a second to shoot through. TLRs are a simpler design. Once the technical issues with an internal, moving mirror were figured out SLRs pretty much took over.

Most TLRs are 6x6 120 format, but there are rare models that shoot other formats on 120, and even 35mm, 4x5, and 8x10 film.

6x6 TLRs are usually smaller than 6x6 SLRs. TLRs are quieter and don't have issues with mirror slap. TLRs usually have leaf shutters, while SLRs usually have focal plane shutters. Most TLRs do not offer interchangable lenses. Although some TLRs and SLRs have different viewfinder options, most TLRs are used with a waist level viewfinder, and most SLRs are used with a eye level viewfinder.

I agree that "better is subjective". I love my Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar, and it's probably one of the few film cameras that I will use in the future. It has top of the line image quality matching the quality I got from my Hasselblad and Pentax 67II. I'd recommend the TLR experience to anyone, but if I thought for a second that the image quality of large prints would be better using the Rollei I'd be using it for my personal work instead of a Canon 5D. It's much hipper than a DSLR, and it has most of the features I need. Comparing 20"x prints (I have no use for under the loupe comparisons) I think the 5D matches the Rollei at ISO 100 (Tmax 100 and FP4+); the film probably has more resolution under the magnifying glass, but even fine grain films look grainy compared to digital in large prints. Once I get to ISO 400 the difference is obvious. The 5D at ISO 1600 looks as good as the Rollei loaded with Tri-X 400.

That said a 5D still costs $2000 for the body alone, while a nice Rollei goes for $500, and excellent Yashica TLRs go for under $200 (sometimes under $100) and they are ready to go only needing to be loaded with film.

EDIT: Of course those TLR prices are for used cameras. I haven't checked recently, but I bet a new Rolleiflex f/2.8 planar is more expensive than a 5D.

Of course those TLR prices are for used cameras. I haven't checked recently, but I bet a new Rolleiflex f/2.8 planar is more expensive than a 5D.

Youbetcha. The 2.8 FX is about $5500 and the 4.0 FW is about $6500.

Best,
Helen

If Medium format processing was more readilly available I'd have a couple of them, I really do think I would enjoy one, but processing has me by the balls at the moment.

Well the Professional cameras have an Input jack labled
GENLOCK.....

This Genlock input is connected to a MASTER Sync generator which locks the camera's Sync and the TV's Sync signals so that BOTH the Tv and the Camera start their picture at the same time.....

That flicker you see is due to the fact that the camera creates it's own sync signal and the TV locks in on the TV station's Sync signal....

Both are out of phase....so you need a Genlocked Camera that can GenLock onto the TV station's sync.....

And that equipment is kinda expensive......
http://www.hiddenpinholecameras.com/professional-cameras.htm

Well the Professional cameras have an Input jack labled
GENLOCK.....

This Genlock input is connected to a MASTER Sync generator which locks the camera's Sync and the TV's Sync signals so that BOTH the Tv and the Camera start their picture at the same time.....

That flicker you see is due to the fact that the camera creates it's own sync signal and the TV locks in on the TV station's Sync signal....

Both are out of phase....so you need a Genlocked Camera that can GenLock onto the TV station's sync.....

And that equipment is kinda expensive......

I think you're on the wrong track here. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back