Weird streak

cornfield girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this pic at the park the other day. It was the middle of the day, so the lighting wasnt that great, but besides that.....there's this weird streak of light on the left side of the pic that goes all the way from top to bottom. What causes this? Is it some weird phenonmenon?

duck001gu8.jpg

Was this film or digital? What camera?

Looks like it might have been lens flare...but I'm not sure.

Looking at the left of the picture it looks like the shutter could be sticking, as left is underexposed to the rest of the shot, but without seeing the camera I really am guessing, My OM1 Olympus started doing the same, but I had a Black Line in middle

It was about 1pm, so i was facing toward the sun. I would say it was almost right above that house and little to the right.

Well its probably lens flare, as the overexposure in the strip, did you use a hood, It does figure that the sun would be slight to the right

Now Im quite new, but Ultra violet light will penetrate the lense quicker and will bounce off glass giving the overexposure line I BELIEVE

Im sure Big Mike Will Know

How old is the camera? Are there any streaks on other photos from the film or was that the only one. If there are other streaks it could be fogging and you may have to get the camera checked out. If that is the only pic then I would say likely it's just lens flare. Judging by where you said the sun was positioned. You can buy a lens hood or if the camera is on a tripod you can simply hold your hand above the lens to block the suns rays ( being careful of course not to get your hand in the frame!)

With this shot the light is not from one position so the hand thing wont really work, I will guess that camera was in auto mode, and the additional relflective light from the water will add to the problem

Good point Steve. Maybe a polarising filter would help in future. It would cut down a lot of the glare off the water in similar situations.

As I say Im quite new too, I only own UV filters, but Im sure there is a filter out there, or just change your angle of view, as the shot appears to be vivid enough to use basic rules of Sun

But this could still be a camera problem where the shutter is sticking and the mirror is coming back into view and blocking the light

Most reactions

Back