nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've taken a picture of this barn years ago, almost 10 years ago with a Sony DSC-H50 when I was just getting into photography. The funny thing is, this barn is only a mile or two from my house and it took 10 years for me to go back. Back around 2008 this barn wasn't really much, it was your typical run-down Vermont barn but not long ago I remember hearing about them kind of restoring and bring it back to life with fresh paint and now they have cows grazing the field. Now that it's autumn, I thought it would be a great time to take a picture of it again, waited till the end of the day when the sun was behind me.

Nikon D610 + 20 1.8G
1/500th, f/8, ISO 400

Original:

Erwin-171008-16057-2.jpg

Updated:

Erwin-171008-16057.jpg

Update: Now that seem both versions side by side, my orginal one was totally oversaturated. Thanks for pointing that out. I like my second one better now.

Last edited:
Man, you found your groove my brother. Wonderful image.

Love the composition! The colors feel a bit too much for my taste, the greens especially. That could be my monitor, and it's not like the colors are retina-searing or anything ;) Just feels a little too saturated.

Love the composition! The colors feel a bit too much for my taste, the greens especially. That could be my monitor, and it's not like the colors are retina-searing or anything ;) Just feels a little too saturated.

It's possible I went a little overboard trying to bring those colors out. I'll see if I can dial it back a little, but I gotta keep the warm tones in it.

I tried. I'm sure it's still too much, but I guess that just my style. I tried it so many ways and I keep going back to the orginal otherwise it becomes too blue and I don't like it.

Erwin-171008-16057.jpg

I tried. I'm sure it's still too much, but I guess that just my style. I tried it so many ways and I keep going back to the orginal otherwise it becomes too blue and I don't like it.

View attachment 148125

I agree it should be warm, just that the underlying yellows in the green seemed too much. This version looks like you were able to take some of the yellows down without making it look blue.

View attachment 148125

I agree it should be warm, just that the underlying yellows in the green seemed too much. This version looks like you were able to take some of the yellows down without making it look blue.

Yeah. I just had to view them side by side and my second version feels much more natural now. I like it even better. Thanks for pointing it out. It's good to have a second eye every now and then. When you been editing photos for hours, I think colors start to desaturate on you lol.

View attachment 148125

Yeah. I just had to view them side by side and my second version feels much more natural now. I like it even better. Thanks for pointing it out. It's good to have a second eye every now and then. When you been editing photos for hours, I think colors start to desaturate on you lol.

Oh totally. Editing a color shot can very quickly mess with your mind. I know it's time to stop when the colors start swimming ;)

View attachment 148125

Oh totally. Editing a color shot can very quickly mess with your mind. I know it's time to stop when the colors start swimming ;)

I might have to edit some other photos in b&w just to give my mind a break haha.

Nice edit!

I've taken a picture of this barn years ago, almost 10 years ago with a Sony DSC-H50 when I was just getting into photography. The funny thing is, this barn is only a mile or two from my house and it took 10 years for me to go back. Back around 2008 this barn wasn't really much, it was your typical run-down Vermont barn but not long ago I remember hearing about them kind of restoring and bring it back to life with fresh paint and now they have cows grazing the field. Now that it's autumn, I thought it would be a great time to take a picture of it again, waited till the end of the day when the sun was behind me.

Nikon D610 + 20 1.8G
1/500th, f/8, ISO 400

Original:

View attachment 148126

Updated:

View attachment 148127

Update: Now that seem both versions side by side, my orginal one was totally oversaturated. Thanks for pointing that out. I like my second one better now.
Nice shot. I agree with the other comments about the color, but also wonder if bringing down the highlights a little wouldn't make the clouds look better.

Nikon D610 + 20 1.8G
1/500th, f/8, ISO 400

Original:

View attachment 148126

Updated:

View attachment 148127

Nice shot. I agree with the other comments about the color, but also wonder if bringing down the highlights a little wouldn't make the clouds look better.

Little confused. Bring the highlights down more or raise them up a little?

Nikon D610 + 20 1.8G
1/500th, f/8, ISO 400

Original:

View attachment 148126

Updated:

View attachment 148127

I think lowering the highlights would show more of the nature of the clouds. To me, the highlights look blown out.

Nikon D610 + 20 1.8G
1/500th, f/8, ISO 400

Original:

View attachment 148126

Updated:

View attachment 148127

I think lowering the highlights would show more of the nature of the clouds. To me, the highlights look blown out.

That's because they are. :)

Most reactions

Back