Welcome to West Virginia

Nice candid here. Interesting subjects and composition is good overall. Only one nitpick: everything in the shot is properly focused except the man in front. It's almost like the camera's auto focus forgot about him.

Nice candid here. Interesting subjects and composition is good overall. Only one nitpick: everything in the shot is properly focused except the man in front. It's almost like the camera's auto focus forgot about him.

f/2.5 for a proper exposure and he's a good 6 feet or so away from the rest of the group.

good carnival feel.... not sure what it has to do with west virgina...it looks like it could be anywhere

good carnival feel.... not sure what it has to do with west virgina...it looks like it could be anywhere

Because it was taken at the annual Brokely County Youth Fair in Durtburg, WV. And those are the typical people you see around here. Just take a trip to the local Wal-Mart and you'll understand where I'm leaving from.

pretty typical people in general wouldnt you say? I guess I am not getting the feeling you are trying to convey....

pretty typical people in general wouldnt you say? I guess I am not getting the feeling you are trying to convey....

Not really. Spend your time in and around a large city without venturing out into the boondocks and you'll likely not see families like this strolling by every five seconds.

At least in the North. I can understand the deep south. Going 90 minutes East to the heart of DC or Baltimore from my town would give you a completely different experience and completely different people.

well I live in a very international city in the south and I lived in a city and in a rural area in the pacific northwest, and in cali...I mean they arent dressed very well but they are at a carnival, who puts on nice clothes to go out on a hot night to a crappy carnival?...I mean its a fine photo but I am not sure it is really as "west virgina" as it is titled. Sorry, just my personal thoughts on it.

Do you hate it there?

BTW, Both my grand parents are from w virgina and they were both professionals, educated, always well dressed, and not in the least "country".

I just love the blond guys confused expression in the back ;) Very nice candid.

well I live in a very international city in the south and I lived in a city and in a rural area in the pacific northwest, and in cali...I mean they arent dressed very well but they are at a carnival, who puts on nice clothes to go out on a hot night to a crappy carnival?...I mean its a fine photo but I am not sure it is really as "west virgina" as it is titled. Sorry, just my personal thoughts on it.

Do you hate it there?

BTW, Both my grand parents are from w virgina and they were both professionals, educated, always well dressed, and not in the least "country".

It's actually the youth fair. It's a big deal. local people dress up to attend.

Ok, I know I don't post much, but I do read these forums frequently.

To clarify, Emerana, not EVERYONE in WV is a hillbilly. Just 85% of the people are....LOL. I am born and raised in WV, in a REAL city of 50,000 people....and unfortunately, the people in Villiage Idiot's picture are everywhere--I just saw them this past weekend when I visited my family. BUT...they are not the entire population.

For the record, I have three college degrees and have a very high paying day job.

Oh, and all of my teeth. Original teeth. :wink::lmao:

Oh, and I like your photo VI.

Hahaha. Thats hilarious! Love it. Great colors too.

PS: Hes just making a funny. Don't take it so seriously!! I have family from West Virginia as well. Everything and everyone has a stereotype, it's life.

It just bothers me to take a photo of people to make fun of them. Maybe being a city girl and living in affluent community, I see people who have less or live in less superficial ways and really respect that. Snobbery does make me ill.

Most reactions

Back