Welding

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Christie Photo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm leaving soon for an out-of-town, all day shoot tomorrow. On top of the shoot list is a laser welder, I presume in operation.

Being so far away from the studio will make it impossible for me to come back for anything I may leave behind. I will pack every ND filter I own.

Does anyone have any first hand experience shooting a welder? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
    Pete

2. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've shot welding pics for my company brochures, trade show booth, etc. I'm not sure what conditions you'll be shooting in (bright or dark lighting) but no matter what, I'm going to caution you STRONGLY. Do not look at the light as the person is welding. It literally can burn your eyes and make you blind. Best way to do it is set up your shot prior to them starting the weld and when you hear them start the arch, start shooting with your eyes closed. I know that sounds strange but it's really necessary to protect your eyesight. Nothing too fancy but here are a couple of examples. The flame is extremely hot and bright. (the bright spots on the welder's shirt is from the torch, not sunlight) Shorter exposures will likely be the norm unless you're going for a "welding trail" effect. (Never tried that before :lol: ) If you have the chance, get some shots of them grinding the metal in preparation of welding. You can get some nice dramatic effects from the spray of sparks. Just make sure you're out of the firing range. :mrgreen:

Grinding
    [​IMG]
    Shot with Olympus E20-N 11mm, f2, 1/2 second hand held with fill flash.

Welding
    [​IMG]
    Shot with Olympus E20-N 13mm, f3.6, 1/125 second hand held in broad daylight.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are shooting digital, you might want to also look into what the sensor is like. I believe some of them can be damaged also.

4. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never researched it but have shot welding with my old E20-N and my 10D and have never had any sensor damage that I can see. Might be worth a look though just in case. :D

5. Christie Photo

Thank you both. I am using a 10-D. Good thought about the sensor.

This is the advance shot they sent me.

[​IMG]

I've done the grinding shot before. Cool sparks.

I suppose my main concern is: Will I be able to shoot at f32 and not be overexposed?

Thanks again.

Pete

6. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's going to be a balancing act. I'm guessing that they want to show their welder off - not necessarily the flame. To expose the weld properly, the machine will likely be really dark or black. To expose the machine properly, the welding action will be overexposed. I would bracket all over the place using a tripod and merge the 2 best images in PS to end up with a pring that properly exposes the weld AND the machine. Just my 2 cents. You'll know more when you find out exactly what the customer is looking for. In addition, I would try for a shot with a wide angle lens from in front of that shelf on the right of the photo you posted with both welders going at the same time. Might be cool. :D Good luck Pete! :hugs:

7. Christie Photo

BTW... I just phoned Canon. They weren't willing to tell me "go ahead and do it." I pretty much think I have to. I have only the one body. Better bring a film back-up. Damn. More stuff to carry.

8. Christie Photo

That's at least a nickle's worth! Yeah... I'm figuring the same thing. I will be bringing 2400ws of strobe, but I doubt it will be enough to bring up the level of light around the welding.

9. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I'd stop by a welding supply store and pick up a light welding helmet lens. That way you can take pictures of the weld where it's not so blown out at contact and you can get a silhouette of the person welding. Just hold it in front of the lens and shoot through. They should run about ten bucks or so.

10. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I can't give you a guarantee but I've done it many times and my sensor is fine. Take the back up body just in case but be extra careful with your peepers. Just a glance at that arc and you'll be seeing spots for hours.

11. Christie Photo

BTW... you can see my "grinding shot" at www.christiephoto.com

12. Christie Photo

Great idea. I'll do it!