Well Folks...Be Carefull

sinjans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trying out the new Lowepro Toploader Pro75 this evening while walking a lakeside trail with my two dogs. Things got exciting as a juvy bald eagle flew 15ft over my head while i shot away with my 70-200. Happy with the encounter i forgot to snap the buckle shut on the chest mounted bag. 5 minutes later i stopped to unwind the dogs interlocked leashes and plunk! My gripped 50D with 70-200 2.8IS attached fell out at just over knee height onto (luckily) the soft grassy turf right next to the hardened walkway.

I consider myself very lucky as only the hood sustained minor marking, which i later wiped away with a damp cloth. Lesson learned and i hope at least one of you learn from this. I am completely anal about protecting my gear. I guess excitement got the better of me. It can get the better of you too. Be safe and buckle up;)

Last edited:
Heh you're brave to shoot with the dogs on the lead!
It's one time that I'd never take my DSLR out with me, at most a compact and light point and shoot/bridge camera - something light enough for onehanded shooting and not to bulky that it gets in the way. That said its mostly cause the husky has no recall or control.... pheasant so much as even hints that its within a mile and she goes mad ;)

I hear ya fella. These guys are pretty relaxed stay at my side, When it's time to draw i just drop the leads and they hang out. I hopefully wont forget to buckle up next time

It never hurts to be reminded.
Sometimes my "SlingShot" worries me, I have left it open a couple of times and discovered just how lucky I was.
It scares the crap out of me....

thx

It's a procedural thing to make sure the gear is safely stowed before moving forward. Hopefully this scare has only drilled that conviction deeper into your subconcious now, without any damage incurred.

Oh no! It hit the ground? Although they look okay, the camera and lens are probably damaged beyone repair. Tell you what I'll do, I'll take that gear off yer hands for a generous $100. ;)

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I've read a story about a camera falling from either an improperly secured bag or from a malfunctioning bag... I could buy a new lens. :)

I'm glad your 50D made it through unscathed.

For me, I discovered that with my Canon bag if I brought the two zippers up to meet at the top the bag could easily be pulled open by the weight of the camera. I didn't drop my camera because I caught it working itself open on a hike. I now run both zippers down to one side vs. meeting at the top in the center and the problem no longer manifests itself.

Glad it wasn't concrete. I've got a Kata 3n1 and I'm also paranoid about forgetting to buckle and zipper it... I'm afraid one of these days I'll forget.

Somewhere out in the woods...about 1,000 acres worth... are 2 lens caps to my old film camera...and one ND filter.

I always say I'm going to be more careful.
Right.

I dropped my 75mm Summarit onto concrete a while back. I had switched lenses on one of my two camera bodies. In my haste (or distracted by my son), I didn't completely latch the lens on the mount. It fell off the body with a sickening "thump" Bent the aperture ring and the focus was no longer smooth... The filter cracked but the optics where unharmed. I almost cried!

Fortunately, I have a local place that repairs cameras (they've been in business forever) and they specialize in Leica. They fixed it up nicely. The place is a hole (smells of cigarette smoke) in a wall but all my collectibles go through them.... elderly chinese guy handed me the fixed lens and said "Don't drop. Expensive! Okay?" :lol:

Nice stories.

I also forgot to mention that i took the neck strap off my neck because it was annoying me after the eagle shoot. Murphys Law hey?

lol on the Kata3n1 as i have not forgoten to close the buckle on that one yet. The zipper could easily be worked open if not for the buckle. Similar to Tims issue i guess.

I dropped my brand new Canon S90 out of my shirt pocket at the opera last week.

I was not as lucky as you; as I bent over, it fell onto concrete and put a nice ding in the frame of the LCD. Luckily, nothing is cracked and everything still works.

Lesson: Never put a camera in a shirt pocket, even if it will fit. (unless it is buttoned closed)

I dropped my brand new Canon S90 out of my shirt pocket at the opera last week.

Ouch! It didn't take long to add your little bit of character to the camera.

Sure didn't! Thanks for reminding me! :er:

My last two cars, I had a nice ding in the fender from some @$$hole in the grocery store parking lot within the first week.

Most reactions

Back