Well..it looks as if I need to learn a new skill.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got it today. My Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G lens in the mail. I love it! I must have underestimated the lnog focal distance. 300mm is a big difference from 50mm. I didnt foresee the big threat of camera shake in ambient lighting conditions. Wow. I do love the lens overall, though. And I now had to take out my N65 out of my camera bag to make room for this lens. Very nice.

Mark

Standard rule of thumb is the minimum shutter speed safe for hand-held shooting is 1/(focal length) .... so for 300mm you want a shutter speed faster than 1/300 if you are not using a tripod ... there are plenty of tricks to shoot in low-light situations without a tripod but this is a good rule of thumb.

The pictures usually turn out at about 1/80-1/60s, but obviously much better outside. any additional help would be much appreciated also.

Mark

Get a monopod.
It will help with stability ... even if you are shooting @ 1/300s shutter speed.

Get a monopod.
It will help with stability ... even if you are shooting @ 1/300s shutter speed.

Agreed. Bare minimum of a monopod anything slower than 1/300. However if you tuck your elbows into your sides and hold your breath as you squeeze the shutter, usually it helps.

You could also play with the ISO to compensate.

Also, for indoor shots...well, any lower light shots...use what's around you. Lean on a table/wall/whatever to steady yourself.

Most reactions

Back