Well since everyone is complaining, this is mine

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have really grown from real, honest C&C. I appriciate it quite a bit. Does it hurt sometimes? YES! But it makes you better, and quick.

My complaint is all the atta-boys going on. I post something and get alot of positive feedback and think "wow, I am getting awesome :lmao:". Then I look at other people's posts with very big flaws, (dare I say) even snap-shottish, which are also getting kudos without honest and helpful feedback.

And comments like "it's out of focus, but thats no big deal". That IS a big deal. Or "just fix her eyes in photoshop". I dont believe you can ever really fix something like eyes...you know the window to the soul, in photoshop. Just get it right in camera, if you dont, you may be able to salvage it in ps, but it isnt the same as getting it right when you shoot it. Some pp is nessesary in modern photography, but pp and photography are not the same thing.

I got alot from people who said to me, "that is so lame, get it right and here is how..." or even just telling me where I need work. But I feel like with all the atta-boys flying around, I cant squeeze in any honest C&C.

So thats what bugs me.

Well, i guess the first thing i should say is sorry :meh:

Haha

But seriously. I agree with you. But i think its hard when the OP say things like "C/C is appreciated but PLEASE be nice". In this case you really don't wanna say thier picture is crap, but you don't want them to think no one likes it or appreciates thier post.

Valid points, however these people to whom you refer with the flawed work receiving praise; did they in fact ask for critique, or did they simply post a picture to share with the board?

Sometimes a shot shows something rare or special that is the focus of the viewer and even if it has poor technical quality there is something in that photo to that person that makes it viewable even with technical flaws.
As for saying photo shop something - its a tool that lets you modify the end result. Yes its alwasy best to get it in camera right first, but sometimes you fail at that - instead of losing the shot you can edit it to get back what you were after.

As for people asking other to be nice - I really don't think that they intend the meaning of "please be nice" to mean not to take the photo apart at the pixels, but just to use good neutral or posetive language as you do so and to also mention where they got things right = something that I try to do each time I comment and something that most should be aiming to do.

Also you say you can see these flaws in other posts - well then there isonly one thing for you to do -- post those flaws up - speak out. Staying quiet is not helping (ps not judging you might be doing this as I type this out)
ps - pp in nessessary in all photography - you have to develop negative toget anything ;)

Jimmy...yeah that is hard...however I am guilty of it in the beginning. I was so new and I knew I sucked but am sensitive. I like to try to give positive with the negitive...thats what I think the "be nice" requests are going for. Just a little encouragement.

Trieriron-if you put up a photo, you are asking for c&c, no? If not there should be a forum for sharing, no c&c needed.

Jimmy...yeah that is hard...however I am guilty of it in the beginning. I was so new and I knew I sucked but am sensitive. I like to try to give positive with the negitive...thats what I think the "be nice" requests are going for. Just a little encouragement.

Trieriron-if you put up a photo, you are asking for c&c, no? If not there should be a forum for sharing, no c&c needed.

that would be here I think
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24
everything else is up for critiques

ps - pp in nessessary in all photography - you have to develop negative toget anything ;)

TOTALLY know that :), I post process too. And I have saved a good number of photos that way. But i would rather get/give advice on how to get it right in camera then how to fix it after...I guess its just a "oh well, ps it" attitude that isnt too helpful IMO. And eye pp work, anything mmore then a few clicks, totally my pet peeve.

I have really grown from real, honest C&C. I appriciate it quite a bit. Does it hurt sometimes? YES! But it makes you better, and quick.

My complaint is all the atta-boys going on. I post something and get alot of positive feedback and think "wow, I am getting awesome :lmao:". Then I look at other people's posts with very big flaws, (dare I say) even snap-shottish, which are also getting kudos without honest and helpful feedback.

And comments like "it's out of focus, but thats no big deal". That IS a big deal. Or "just fix her eyes in photoshop". I dont believe you can ever really fix something like eyes...you know the window to the soul, in photoshop. Just get it right in camera, if you dont, you may be able to salvage it in ps, but it isnt the same as getting it right when you shoot it. Some pp is nessesary in modern photography, but pp and photography are not the same thing.

I got alot from people who said to me, "that is so lame, get it right and here is how..." or even just telling me where I need work. But I feel like with all the atta-boys flying around, I cant squeeze in any honest C&C.

So thats what bugs me.

The "attaboys" are unavoidable in this forum..... there is a large membership of people who want to participate that have varied skill levels. The best you can do is post your picture, ignore(or enjoy) the attaboys, and hope that somebody who knows what they are talking about gives you a comprehensive critique. It's a little slower this way but hey.... it's a free service. For constant constructive critique you should join a photography club (or class) where a teacher with experience can help.

Well, if it would make you happy I could go around telling people that they should sell their camera and take up the violin instead - but I'm aiming to live to a ripe old age so it's not a good idea.

Critique is a very difficult thing. I'm speaking from my experience with literary criticism. In-person workshops are somewhat easier, especially if there is a moderator/professor.

A poetry forum I used to be a part of required each member to critique three poems for each one they posted. Writing an average critique takes half an hour to an hour, with some taking far longer. It involves constructive praise as well as criticism.

And criticism is a lot easier to swallow once you realize your critic has just spent an hour with your work, rather than five minutes :)

Honest c/c? Never heard of it!

The internet is mostly for entertainment purposes. If you want a real critique, take a class or workshop.

If you want to get better at photography, then study it, and develop your own judgement. There's far more to it than bitching and sniveling about not getting what you want from a social forum.

If you can see other's mistakes, well, don't do that.

If you see something you like, do that.

So thats what bugs me.

When I give feedback, its mostly for future reference. So I don't see focus problems as a big deal, cause chances are, the next one will be fine. If its a recurring problem, then it is, but the occasional out of focus photo doesn't seem to be a problem in the sense of it being something the photographer needs to learn.

Plus, I think its important to put things in perspective. Even the crummy shots on here are good. Most people on here are really good photographers. And when we get told nothing but, "fix this, fix that, this sucks, don't do this," we tend to forget that 90% of the photo is fine. So, yeah, I will compliment almost any photo I see SOME redeeming value to.

In the future, though, I will try and tailor my responses to you in a way you feel is more...constructive. Though I will never have a rude attitude. Some people say things rudely, and people will think, "That's what I needed!", when the same thing could have been said without insulting. To me, people who feel like they need harsh criticism have an inferiority complex.

To me, people who feel like they need harsh criticism have an inferiority complex.

I think you are confusing the inferiority complex with masochism.
People with an IC tend to be over-achievers or anti-social, neither of which would lead them to request a crit, let alone a harsh one.
It's the masochists who like to be punished ;)

I think you are confusing the inferiority complex with masochism.
People with an IC tend to be over-achievers or anti-social, neither of which would lead them to request a crit, let alone a harsh one.
It's the masochists who like to be punished ;)

I stand corrected. Thank you. :)

Most reactions

Back