Well that didn't last long, D850 dethroned.

DXO released test results / score for the new Hasselblad X1D-50c. Listed score of 102 for the Hassy. Of course the Hassy is a 51mp sensor in a much larger format sensor, D850 60% the size of the Hassy sensor. One thing I didn't realize is it's a 15bit system. Of course the Hassy is $9k for just the body.

I'm sorry, I know there are Nikon fans that think it's the only brand and it is a quality camera, but for price of an 850 I can get a Pentax K1 with a choice of quality glass. In a side by side image comparison I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the difference in quality between the two.

I’d rather use a canon than sully my hands with a Pentax.

I would take a Pentax K1 anyday! Any Canon I would want is way more expensive than a K1 and a very good lens. So, I would probably take a Pentax over a Canon first (at this time).

I've always been a fan of Pentax, and if they were a little more accessible and third-party accessories more available, I would use them instead of Nikon. They've always been #1 in value-for-money in the camera world IMO.

I've always been a fan of Pentax, and if they were a little more accessible and third-party accessories more available, I would use them instead of Nikon. They've always been #1 in value-for-money in the camera world IMO.
but the fact that they're the unloved brand with 1.5% market share. You'll never be able to find in store support or likely to find someone who shares the system. So much dicking around just to save a bit of money...nah
Easier to stick with the main brands and get the support that is vital.

I would take a Pentax K1 anyday! Any Canon I would want is way more expensive than a K1 and a very good lens. So, I would probably take a Pentax over a Canon first (at this time).

And for about $1500 more than an D850 with lens, you could get a Pentax 645z with a good prime, and be hands down superior in every way. I'm sorry, just not seeing the value in the D850. Not knocking those that adhere to the Nikon brand, just not for me.

And for about $1500 more than an D850 with lens, you could get a Pentax 645z with a good prime, and be hands down superior in every way. I'm sorry, just not seeing the value in the D850. Not knocking those that adhere to the Nikon brand, just not for me.

I love the Pentax 645z and I use the Pentax 645 system along side with my Nikon FF's, but there are so many draw backs like frame rate, low light focus, shutter speed just to name a few. I guess it would depend on the type of photography you do to pick a 645z over a D850. Both are great cameras.

but the fact that they're the unloved brand with 1.5% market share. You'll never be able to find in store support or likely to find someone who shares the system. So much dicking around just to save a bit of money...nah

I have not been in a "camera" store in probably 5 years when our only local one closed! And not many would do anything for an inoperative camera other than to send it in. Which you could easily do on your own. I doubt 90% or more people who own camera equipment has been in a "camera" store in the past year! Unfortunately they are a dying breed. Online retailers and big box stores have made it really hard for them.

I have a lot of Nikon gear. That comes with using it for a long time. And I think it's very good if not near the best. But I still pay attention to other makers. And if I see something that appears to be good or better than what I have. I would have no issue in acquiring it! I may have Nikon "blinders" but they are not down too far over my eyes!

It's not about the money, it's about the actual value received, when comparing apples to apples. We have two camera stores in the entire state with limited inventory. My last two Pentax bodies, and last 4 lenses have been ordered online, with excellent customer service and technical support when I needed it. If I determined that Nikon, Canon or Fuji fit my needs better I wouldn't have a problem with any of them, if they survived a head to head comparison. Again it's the value inherent in the item. Never been one to buy something just because of the name. Maybe if I wanted a Nikon or a Canon I could even find limited inventory at someplace like Best Buy, but my experience with the people there is that I find them not much above the Micky D level. I keep expecting them to ask me if I want a hot apple pie with that!!!

chuasam said:

BUT WAIT...don't you have an Olympus camera you really like? And don't they have like 2.2% market share? LOL

I dunno..."support" is wayyyy over-rated in my opinion.

I would love a MF digital, or even a Pentax MF film camera. I made a mistake and sold the majority of my Bronica Equipment. That was a very boneheaded move. :BangHead: I am not sure for what I am doing right now, if buying a MF digital body is wise.

It's not about the money, it's about the actual value received, when comparing apples to apples. We have two camera stores in the entire state with limited inventory. My last two Pentax bodies, and last 4 lenses have been ordered online, with excellent customer service and technical support when I needed it. If I determined that Nikon, Canon or Fuji fit my needs better I wouldn't have a problem with any of them, if they survived a head to head comparison. Again it's the value inherent in the item. Never been one to buy something just because of the name. Maybe if I wanted a Nikon or a Canon I could even find limited inventory at someplace like Best Buy, but my experience with the people there is that I find them not much above the Micky D level. I keep expecting them to ask me if I want a hot apple pie with that!!!
I agree it's about value for what you get. Pentax K1 is probably the best "value" out there at the moment. And anyone who has said their lenses are subpar obviously has not used one. Pentax was the first company to make 10million slr's. Unfortunately they let "money" men take over the company and putting out the "best" is not on their list of things to do. And basically all they did was sell the company several times! At the detriment of the company and it's marketshare!

I would love a MF digital, or even a Pentax MF film camera. I made a mistake and sold the majority of my Bronica Equipment. That was a very boneheaded move. :BangHead: I am not sure for what I am doing right now, if buying a MF digital body is wise.

The 645z was/is a very nice imager! The sheer size of the new "MF" digital sensors in most cases is not "that much bigger" than FX digital, or 24x36mm sensor size. Ken Rockwell has a pretty good article on what he calls mezzo-format, or the new medium format sensor size, which is what most mfrs. are using now.

I saw a comparison of the 654z I think it was versus the 36-MP Nikon D800 some time back; there was not that much difference, and in the AF arena, the Nikon was more capable than the Pentax was.

The 645z was atrociously poor at video...horrific rolling shutter issue...but at high ISO levels, that BIG sensor and its BIG pixel wells was really quite,quite impressive!

chuasam said:

BUT WAIT...don't you have an Olympus camera you really like? And don't they have like 2.2% market share? LOL

I dunno..."support" is wayyyy over-rated in my opinion.
Olympus actually has about 25% market share in the mirrorless market.

I couldnt care less what DxOMark says. *shrug*

I couldnt care less what DxOMark says. *shrug*
DXO is just another metric to make a decision from! As you are researching for your purchase. Can't use it soley for your purchase decisions!

I'm glad I read this thread. I'll dispose of my thoughts of upgrading to the D850 and get the Hasselblad instead.

by the way, is the Hassy under $400 dollars with kit lens and tripod, UWA lens, NDs and cleaning kit ?

Most reactions

Back