Well that didn't last long, D850 dethroned.

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by benhasajeep, Oct 28, 2017.

1. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you were to give me a Hasselblad, I would sell it immediately. Possibly the worst value in the camera world. Expensive and delicate. If you want expensive and sturdy this is one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I’d rather use a canon than sully my hands with a Pentax.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I would take a Pentax K1 anyday! Any Canon I would want is way more expensive than a K1 and a very good lens. So, I would probably take a Pentax over a Canon first (at this time).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've always been a fan of Pentax, and if they were a little more accessible and third-party accessories more available, I would use them instead of Nikon. They've always been #1 in value-for-money in the camera world IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    but the fact that they're the unloved brand with 1.5% market share. You'll never be able to find in store support or likely to find someone who shares the system. So much dicking around just to save a bit of money...nah
    Easier to stick with the main brands and get the support that is vital.

7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And for about $1500 more than an D850 with lens, you could get a Pentax 645z with a good prime, and be hands down superior in every way. I'm sorry, just not seeing the value in the D850. Not knocking those that adhere to the Nikon brand, just not for me.

8. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love the Pentax 645z and I use the Pentax 645 system along side with my Nikon FF's, but there are so many draw backs like frame rate, low light focus, shutter speed just to name a few. I guess it would depend on the type of photography you do to pick a 645z over a D850. Both are great cameras.

9. benhasajeep

I have not been in a "camera" store in probably 5 years when our only local one closed! And not many would do anything for an inoperative camera other than to send it in. Which you could easily do on your own. I doubt 90% or more people who own camera equipment has been in a "camera" store in the past year! Unfortunately they are a dying breed. Online retailers and big box stores have made it really hard for them.

I have a lot of Nikon gear. That comes with using it for a long time. And I think it's very good if not near the best. But I still pay attention to other makers. And if I see something that appears to be good or better than what I have. I would have no issue in acquiring it! I may have Nikon "blinders" but they are not down too far over my eyes!

• Like Like x 1
  10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's not about the money, it's about the actual value received, when comparing apples to apples. We have two camera stores in the entire state with limited inventory. My last two Pentax bodies, and last 4 lenses have been ordered online, with excellent customer service and technical support when I needed it. If I determined that Nikon, Canon or Fuji fit my needs better I wouldn't have a problem with any of them, if they survived a head to head comparison. Again it's the value inherent in the item. Never been one to buy something just because of the name. Maybe if I wanted a Nikon or a Canon I could even find limited inventory at someplace like Best Buy, but my experience with the people there is that I find them not much above the Micky D level. I keep expecting them to ask me if I want a hot apple pie with that!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    BUT WAIT...don't you have an Olympus camera you really like? And don't they have like 2.2% market share? LOL

I dunno..."support" is wayyyy over-rated in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. benhasajeep

I would love a MF digital, or even a Pentax MF film camera. I made a mistake and sold the majority of my Bronica Equipment. That was a very boneheaded move. :BangHead: I am not sure for what I am doing right now, if buying a MF digital body is wise.

• Like Like x 1