Well

Any plasmat lens is convertible, it just grew out of fashion to advertise it, per se. It's a natural consequence (or benefit) of the symmetrical design (or any 2 element design, in fact). both elements have an effective f.l. and using one over the other is yet another variable, for symmars, it's remove the front element, for Sironars, the rear.

Furthermore, if you have a tessar design lens, try this, unscrew the front element, shoot using only the rear element, has a soft focus/petzval type look, any tessar design will do this.

<caution, rant mode..> I know it's fun to knock the not latest and greatest, but remember that Adams, Weston and the great masters of photography used equipment most of us (not me, btw.) would dismiss as too primitive, or not sharp enough, etc. The Holga phenomenon should teach us all a valuable lesson, it's not the equipment, it's what you do with it.

If you really want to get a feel for what "real" photographers endured, listen to the history of photography podcasts at http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/ , or find a good book on Jackson, or any of the more prominent wet plate photographers, Muybridge Curtis and the like.

<rant mode off>

erie

(oh and the above post illustrates my "unclean" lens or equipment attitude perfectly..)

The class that got me into photography was "History of Photography" I didn't buy the book it was too expensive but now I wish I would have. It's kinda sad that it was such an easy A I would have liked to know more.

Look for The History of Photgraphy by Newhall, used and new very helpful. I worry little about the age or newness of a lens, if it makes great photographs it works for me. Most of my lenses are a mix of both, but I lean towards my Dagors and Artars. One of my sayings is, Good enough for Weston, good enough for me.

Holga's on the other hand should all be tossed in the bin.

I don't mind the idea of the holga just so long as the pictures a photographically sound. However there are better options.

I agree, though for my paying work, I have a complete set of Symmar-S MC (they all match color wise, important in product work) for my own work, I have a mix of this and that, a 210 angulon, some artars and a couple of Ektars, amazing lenses, though nobody seems to want to pay much for them, of course a packard or Sinar shutter is mandatory (or a hat, lens cap, etc). the 21 1/4 I have covers 20x24 with room to spare. Of particular note is a 360 Componon I have, covers 16x20, haven't checked it on 20x24 yet.

I'm still waiting on film holders but I'm going to play with it anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back