Well

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by haleyme, Aug 6, 2007.

1. haleyme

haleyme TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Against my nervousness of what is to be said, what do you think of this? Taken with a canon EOS film

[​IMG]

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The couple have a mutually adoring looks on their face and this is a nice pose but there are a couple of major problems with this picture.

The first was in its execution; the couple was close to the wall and the shadow from the most-likely on-camera flash is very obvious behind them - two things to avoid. Use an off=camera flash and bounce it off the ceilings or use a diffuser to get away from this harshness.

I don't know what the original looks like but perhaps the conversion to b&w has left a strangely contrasty picture where there is lots of glare but the blacks are blocked up.
    [​IMG]

You have the situation of a prominent part of the picture, his coat, being without tone or texture.

I would go back to the color original and start from there again - perhaps changing your conversion to get more detail and tones.
    If this is full-frame you might be able to extract them from the background , thus getting rid of the shadow,and put another background in there because there is lots of sharp edges to help with extraction.

Lew

3. haleyme

haleyme TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks.

The problem I have though with these pictures is the grain in them. Unfortunatly, the film wasn't great. I orded it online in bulk and the shots came to be very disapointing. I had to edit ALOT to get it to not be full of noise. But I understand about his coat. That was one of my concerns. And about changing the backround, how would you suggest doing that?

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Post a link to a hi-res version, give your permission to edit and I can demonstrate it much more easily than trying to write a how-to.

5. Alley Cat Images

Alley Cat Images TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the grain is a problem. Combined with the strong contrast, the image feels more harsh than romantic. The composition is strong, though, with the slight, diagonal line of the bride.

6. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Grain is never the problem....but noise can be. Grain is Groovy!
    The problem here is direct flash, a bad white balance, and some really bad direct flash. I know I said it twice, but flash is BAD. LOL. Ok, not bad, but it has to be done with tender loving care.
    I know this sounds crazy, but turn your flash ALL THE WAY AROUND BACKWARDS, get close, and then shoot.
    No akward flash, and nothing but yummy ambient light. Try it.

7. Alley Cat Images

Alley Cat Images TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oops! Correct you are, elaspet - I slipped back into film lingo for a moment, and used it incorrectly here. Sorry for the confusion!