Went for a sunrise but got mooned instead

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Planned a sunrise shoot of Boston Harbor with a friend and when we got there we got the bonus of the full moon setting right behind the skyline. Good thing too because the sunrise was a very fast and relatively colorless bust.
Fall16_7908_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Fall16_7908_edited-2 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Fall16_7925_edited-1 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Moon2a by SharonCat..., on Flickr

and the boring sunrise so you can see how lucky we felt that the moon position was so nice...

Sunrise by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Yeah, this isn't the time of year when sunrises are normally great. The sun is moving fairly straight and not very far north as it rises. Nice shots.

Cool photos! I admire the patience to get these. I like the reflection of the water and the pattern of the bright ripples that reflect the light.

With the last one I see some reflection in windows of a building way to the left, so I'd probably play around with a little different vantage point sometime where you could get that (and that thing sticking up out of the water) in the composition in an interesting way (the silhouette of that wood thingy has some pattern to it that you could maybe work into the composition).

Very nice set! My favorite is #1

Yeah, this isn't the time of year when sunrises are normally great. The sun is moving fairly straight and not very far north as it rises. Nice shots.

Thanks for that info. I definitely need to read more about what makes a good sunrise/sunset. Usually I can tell an hour or two before if the sunset is going to be nice but no clue how to predict it in advance - if that's even possible. I know I've heard the weather people on tv say look for a great sunset tonight or look for a pretty sunrise tomorrow but not sure what info they base that on.

Nice set.

Thanks!

Cool photos! I admire the patience to get these. I like the reflection of the water and the pattern of the bright ripples that reflect the light.

With the last one I see some reflection in windows of a building way to the left, so I'd probably play around with a little different vantage point sometime where you could get that (and that thing sticking up out of the water) in the composition in an interesting way (the silhouette of that wood thingy has some pattern to it that you could maybe work into the composition).

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

It's not possible to get a lower viewpoint of those pylons (?) in the water without going into the water itself - we were on a walkway above the harbor and there's no public access to the docks or to lower ground. I tried last time I was there to use them as foreground interest and had no luck at all getting anything good. I cloned it out of some shots and left it in others based on nothing in particular.

Thanks for that info. I definitely need to read more about what makes a good sunrise/sunset. Usually I can tell an hour or two before if the sunset is going to be nice but no clue how to predict it in advance - if that's even possible. I know I've heard the weather people on tv say look for a great sunset tonight or look for a pretty sunrise tomorrow but not sure what info they base that on.

Well of course there are exceptions to any rule. So, sure as anything tomorrow's sunrise will be spectacular! lol
I think (from what I recall from science class) the more particulate matter in the air, the better the sunrise / sunset will be. It has to do with the way light refracts and reflects off the suspended matter and causes shifts in wavelengths and therefor colors.

Professor Walter Lewin can explain this much better than I... Skip to 21:50 if you don't want to hear the whole lecture, but of course you will always wonder why he was considered one of the most entertaining and motivating physics professors of our time. ;)

So, if there is high thin clouds or dust or smog, you get a nice sunrise or sunset. Winds can add some particulate matter in the form of dust.

I love the first photo, but I like the size of the moon in number 2...
I played around a little, I also removed the wooden pier (?) It's not nearly as good as the original, but was fun to see, hope you don't mind. If you ask I will delete it happily.
30271546742_327fb55b70_b2.jpg

Thanks for the science info. I'll try to watch the whole thing at some point.

nice emotional feel when viewed.

Thanks!

I love the first photo, but I like the size of the moon in number 2...
I played around a little, I also removed the wooden pier (?) It's not nearly as good as the original, but was fun to see, hope you don't mind. If you ask I will delete it happily.View attachment 128898

Nice. I don't mind at all. If I was more experienced in Post processing I would have tried something similar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back