Went Full Frame Finally!

Whats so bad about using a single big card? I shoot with 16 gig card on my 500D and I don't get all those "pros" with 5dmk2's that use 2gig cards and have to carry them like ammunition.

Whats so bad about using a single big card? I shoot with 16 gig card on my 500D and I don't get all those "pros" with 5dmk2's that use 2gig cards and have to carry them like ammunition.

I think it's mostly for being safe. Like incase your card goes bad then you don't lose everything but portions of the whole shoot. You know? So I guess going 2 x 8gb is safer? Although they're too pricey to go that route. I don't know what I'm going to do in the end.....I really want to pull the trigger on this 32gb UDMA 400X for $96!

It's not a good idea to put all your photos in one basket. Taking 8 - 2gig cards makes a lot more sense. If you were to put say 1000 pictures on one card and it becomes corrupted, there go 1000 pictures. if you're doing a wedding and you take 100 shots per card and one fails, well you've lost 100 pictures. sure it sucks, but compared to all 1000?

CF cards aren't infallible, so its best to not tempt statistics and spread out your data.

I use 8g cards, because those are the size I purchased with the 7D. I may purchase 1-16g for the 5D.

I love the 10-22 on my 7D. I have the 16-35L, which I will shoot this weekend to see how it compares to the 10-22/7D. It will take a beautiful photo to really surpase the way I like the 10-22/7D combo. I shot the 5D with my 24-70 last week and was very happy with those results.

I have the 85 f1.8 and the 135L coming this weekend. I really have started being comfortable with the primes, learning to shoot with my 50 f1.4.
Between the 5Dmii, and the two new lenses, I saved almost $700 buying used. Neither of the two lenses is older than 6 months-purchased used. The 5D is 1 month old with 1150 actuations. All of the purchases came with manufacturer warranties. :mrgreen:

You know Mo.. I dont like your title. "Went Full Frame Finally". WTF? It was only a few months?

Don't have much to say outside of the Ramen Noodle eater comment, I am one of those too...I believe Ramen is Mandarin for crap

Congrats and welcome to the club!
Just an FYI, I use Sandisk Extreme IIIs 8gb cards and get about 180 to just under 300 raw shots on a card. (depends on the scene, ISO etc) I wouldn't go any larger because it becomes cumbersome to parse through say 600 photos at once. Also you may want to segregate your cards to correspond with different parts of the day. One card for getting ready, one or two for the service, one for reception and one for the aftershoot. This will make parsing and processing easier while ensuring that you lose less if something does happen to the card. 5D2 files are large and having a faster writing card makes a lot of sense if you're in a situation where you'll be shooting in burst mode. Once the buffer fills your ability to keep shooting depends on how fast it clears, which will be a product of how fast the card writes. Not something I expect you to encounter at a wedding too often but I'm sure you'll want to do some other kinds of shooting still. ;)

Congrats on the full frame purchase. I was just looking at a D700 with three lenses for $7000.....someday.

I fit 380 raw images on a 4gb card in my D5000. I guess the higher resolution of some full frame cameras are a large file size.

why leave nikon?

Because it sucks?

5D MKII is overrated. Mines broke 4 times already. Sell it and get a T2i.
Dare I ask how you've broken it 4 times? Maybe try carrying a more discrete camera to the strip club next time.

The first error 30 occured upon pressing the shutter button. The subsequent 2nd, 3rd, and 4th also occured upon pressing the shutter button. It's been to Canon 3 times. One time it worked normal for about a week before breaking again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back