Went to Russia for Christmas

rugger123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just got done fixing up a few of my personal favorite shots I took while I was there. Check them out and let me know what you all think. Positive feed back is good, but I'd like to hear some critics. Just trying to get better at my preferred hobby right now.

1. WWII Memorial
DSC01668.jpg

2. What the memorial actually looks like.
DSC01669.jpg

3. Walk way leading up to the second largest wooden building in the world.
DSC01670.jpg

4.The Blue Mosque
DSC01711.jpg

5. Gotta love those random gifts that bring you so much fun.
IMG_0035.jpg

Thanks for looking

1) Cock-eyed, get the horizon level. The subjects are too far from the camera which makes the image look more like a snapshot.
2) Straight on shot, uninteresting. Try to find flattering and unique angles. Straight on and centered often times = boring.
3) I kind of like this one. I would have gotten a little closer to the building and cropped out the stone marker at the bottom of the image, it detracts from the shot. What is the subject, the stone marker or the colorful structure in the background? I'm more drawn to the structure.
4) You're trying to get different perspectives, but this still doesn't do much for me. But I like that you're thinking outside of the box.
5) Out of focus and under exposed... it also looks cock-eyed.

Yep, I have to agree with Intempus. Although I like #4 more than #3. I like the cooler, more sedate colors.

In #2, there isn't enough tonal variety between the subject and background to make the subject really stand out.

Hey, rugger. Are you Russian? Did you have any relatives who perished in that war? Watch Enemy at the Gates! The Russians were great! Fantastic display of stamina and wit by the generals and rank and file!

#4 is my favorite! well composed..i love the lighting and colors. nicely done

and you came home alive! wow! you deserve a war hero medal.
Did you see that statue of the large hand with the flame?

thanks all for the comments and the tips. I am actually not Russian, my dad works over their as a pilot. So, this year me, my mom and my sister went over to visit him for holiday. It was a fantastic trip, but if I have one piece of advise for anyone going to Russia. Make sure you bring lots of money. The only reason the Russians liked us was since we were buying stuff to get them to leave us alone.

Most reactions

Back