Went to Savannah/Sea Island, enjoy some pics

Very fine. How do you like that Tammy 24-70 btw?

Had it for years now; sharp and fast. They can be picked up for a song now that the G2 and new Sigma have come out.

I get a little bored by it, but it always produces a very clean, crisp image, that always looks great. It's a bit soft in the extreme corners when fully wide, but not that bad and I usually crop in a bit when I shoot at 24mm.

But it doesn't have the rendering of some of these more "artist" primes available. The transition into OOF isn't always the smoothest, for example in this shot: DSC_2603 The distiller is really sharp and detailed and looks great, but look at that PVC pipe in the foreground to the top left. It looks nervous to me, almost double exposed or motion blurred. I've seen worse lenses in this regard, but I have primes that handle OOF much better. But IMHO -- this looks way better at 50mm than the Nikon 50mm 1.8G.

Same thing here: DSC_2573 look at the BG, it's not a mushy smooth blur, look at the vertical stack in the BG at full size -- it's like it has a few edges to it.

I'd be curious to see how the G2, Sigma, and Nikon versions all do here. But I bought it for cost:performance -- way cheaper than the Nikon, the VC stabilization is VERY good, it's smaller than the Nikon with an extending barrel.

I keep it mounted most of the time, the zoom range is very versatile and I know I'm going to get decent images from it. If I didn't need the speed, I might consider other lenses in it's stead.

Good comments on the way the Tamron 24-70 VC renders, with two good example images!

Aspherical element lens designs can sometimes have some weird bokeh rendering on certain types of things. It does tend toward "nervous" or "jittery" bokeh in your example shot DSC_2573.

Good observation too on the way cellphone shots can be QUITE good too! Sometimes better than "real camera shots".

Most reactions

Back