What 2 place/s in the world would you most want to take self portrait photos in ?

Yeah, OH REALLY.

Why would I go off someplace and put a distracting background behind me when I'm supposed to be taking a great portrait of me? If everyone is looking at the "cool background" or worse yet at another person who's with me than I really feel it's not a true self portrait. Self-portraits are supposed to be about the SELF after all, the person taking the shot. Think about it. In fine art, does the painter usually paint himself with other people and then call it a self portrait? Now and again, but more often than not you look at the great artists painting things entitled "self-portrait" and they're the only one in the frame. I personally feel that if someone else is in a shot with me then it's a GROUP portrait. As to the "where" in a self-portrait I feel that if the background grabs more attention than "I" do than I'm probably doing something wrong.

I'd definitely take it in a studio with a simple backdrop or maybe outside with a non-distracting natural setting, that's it.

A well balanced photo can have both fore and background areas that retain detail and interest for the photographer. Infact its a very western and more modern view that the background need be simply blank or totally free of interest points. I seem to recall that far eastern (I think China and Japan but I'm not certain) arts hold (at least in the past before the wave of western media over the world) to having a background in art that is as much if not more holding of the viewers interest.

One must be carefull not to work ones mind into a set that discounts other forms of creativity or art - focus and dedication to a set method/appearance brings with it (for most people) increased quality - but we do have to be carefull that we don't blinker ourselves to other ideas and possibilities.

Also remember that a connection to a photo is important to - a photo of you somewhere important to yourself is certainly something that you and those close can appreciate - even if strangers cannot.

#1 Mt. Kilauea, HI (CLOSE) because I like dangerous locations. Id love to have some pics of myself with lava in the background!

#2 Mexico's Cueva de los Cristales (Cave of Crystals) because its the coolest underground location Ive ever seen. Of course Id probably end up doing some lame Fortress of Solitude rip-off.....

Most reactions

Back