What a catch

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This guy scared the you know what out of me on the side of a trail. He was about 15 feet to my left when I looked through the brush and wondered what the heck was I seeing. About the time my brain got to "what the.." he flew across the water.

So at the end my zoom trying to hold still shooting into dark foilage this is what I got. This is the proverbial fish story of the one that got away. He ate it in 1 gulp stretching his neck straight up into the air. On the return hike, he was still there. Odd when all the other birds flew away constantly. Guess he coudn't fly with this meal on board.

I put in the original photo so you get some idea how far away he was at 300mm before the crop.

Shot with the Nikon D90 and 70-300 VR (TG for VR).

1. Great Blue Heron ? with fish
5.6, 1/80, 200, 300mm, Pattern meter, Normal Program
Heron0734originalsize.jpg

2. Great Blue Heron with fish
Heronwithfish1resized.jpg

3. Great Blue Heron with fish
Heronwithfish2resized.jpg

I can't believe he's choking a fish down that size. I've never seen them take anything larger than a medium sized sunfish. I think 3 is your best, great shots.

Here's the shots of him getting it down. From the looks of the second one I don't think he was too comfortable. Looks he was 9 feet tall standing up that straight with that fish in his neck.

1. The joy 5.6, 1/80, 200, 300mm
DSC_0738Heronresized.jpg

2. The regret 5.6, 1/80, 200, 300mm
DSC_0739Heronresized.jpg

I agree with MHarvey.. Third was definitely your best shot.
Did he actually swallow that fish whole?

Yep, and i waited a long time for him to fly away. I didn't even want to put the camera down to put on bug repellent cause I figured he'd be gone, just like when he flew away from 15 feet to my left initially. I learned 2 things. Put on the bug repellent (that close to the water I got all bit up) and get the monopod OUT OF THE CLOSET. Bad enough when your a mile away holding a long lens shooting into a dark space, but after awhile my arms move like I'm on a boat. Now I'm looking for shoulder strap for the monopod. Seriously, not leaving that at home on these longer outings anymore.

Most reactions

Back