What accesories...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Boop's_passion, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Boop's_passion

Boop's_passion TPF Noob!

I have an upcoming wedding, engagement pics., and family portraits. For camera's I have:

Minolta point and shoot (35 mm)
    Minolta Slr (35 mm)
    Sony cybershot 5.1 Megapixels

For the sony, all I have is batteries, and memory cards. For the slr I have a wide angle lense and that is it. What would you suggest me buying. I know I need a flash for my minolta. I have taking pictures of families and of my husband and of my daughter, I am just worried what I should get for my upcoming wedding/engagement pics.

I plan on buying a minolta digital slr soon, so I was wondering what I should buy for my slr that can interchange with my new camera, or if it can? Any suggestions or tips would greatly be appeciated.

I don't really want to buy anything for my sony because I want to buy that new camera.

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What lens do you already have? Good focal lengths would be 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm.

I'd get a cord for the flash so that you can use it off-camera. I find on-camera flash goes a long way towards making an image look like a snapshot. Even if you don't do that, at least get one that will allow you to bounce it and get a diffuser (or make one).

In my opinion, a single flash isn't going to cut it for inside formals. If you can do them outside or someplace that has a lot of light you will probably get better results.

If you use prime lenses with wide apertures you'd be able to do some or all of the informals without flash if you want to go that route.

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I'll echo Mark's comments about the lengths and flash advice.

Really your two compacts are not up to doing formal shots, so I wouldn't bother to use them for anything other than candids.

Also, I really wouldn't suggest buying a digital camera from a company who have decided not to make cameras any more. Konica Minolta have abandoned the camera trade and are in the process of selling their assets to Sony.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06011901konicaminoltaout.asp

Rob

4. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

5. Boop's_passion

Boop's_passion TPF Noob!

Thank you! I did not know that they were selling out. That is a bummer I have always like Minolta camera's. So, I planned on buying a digital SLR so...now, I am going to have to keep looking around. thanks for the other tips as well. :)

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I read that Sony would be keeping the lens mount/format so that Minolta users still have an option...but who knows for sure?

You only have a wide angle lens for the SLR? What focal length? It's not unheard of to do a wedding with just one focal length, but it won't be ideal for every situation.

A good flash, and knowing how to use it...will come in very handy.

I wouldn't think of doing a wedding without a back up camera, flash and lens.

Bring twice as much film (or digital storage) than you think you will need. And plenty of batteries.