What accessories for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel 300D?

htkchen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cityofsolitude.com
Hey everyone,

I'm very new to this form, and a beginner in amateur photography. I made a few bucks this summer and thought I just start off on a big foot by purchasing a DSLR. Since I'm most familiar with Canon and the Rebel 300D was less than 1000, I decided to get that one.

I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for lens, filters, and other accesories that I should get. I currently have a very nice tripod, extra batteries, and a 512 MB CF card. I'll most likely be shooting things at the macro level as well as a few landscapes, skyscrapers, and scenaries. Probably several portrait shots as well. I also got the 18-55 mm lens with the 300D. Do you any suggestions on other lens (within a reasonable price like below 500 dollars ish) that I should get? I looked for UV and Polarizer filters since those seem to be the most popular and useful, but found several different brands. Suggestions on which ones are better to use is definitely appcreciated.

Kind regards,

Henry

get more memory, especially if you're going
to shoot in RAW mode (a 512 MB card is good
for about 80 RAW images).

The Canon 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for about $70,
it makes a great portrait lens on a DSLR due to the
magnification factor (so it's a 80mm)

The 18-55 is ok for the wide end. Look for a longer
zoom. The Canon USM lenses are great, I also had
very good experience with Sigma zooms. You'll be able
to find a nice lens within your budget.

You can't go wrong with filters from any manufacturer,
I usually buy generic brand.

Hi doxx, thank you for your help. Is there a big difference between the 50 mm 1.8 lens and the 18-55 mm lens that the kit comes with? I'll look into the Canon USM lenses as well as get some generic filters. Much appreciation for your time.

Henry

I would suggest not worrying about all that right now. You say you're a beginner right? I'd say just take the time to get REALLY familiar with what you have, learn the ins and outs of the technical abilities of you gear (and photography in general) Once you have a good understanding of that, go ahead and buy some new stuff. (more memory is always a good idea tho. I'd recommend shooting in raw, makes a big differnece)

I'll definitely be doing that tr0gd0o0r ; I used the G5 for a few weeks but returned it because I thought I could get a bit more with the Rebel even if it meant spending some more. I'll be trying to work at that for quite some time before investing my money into something else. The only thing I'll get for now are a few filters. But thank you doxx for the suggestions on lens to get. I think I'll see how the 18-55 mm one goes, and when I save up my money again, will look towards the one you suggested. Much thanks to both of you.

Most reactions

Back