What %age of your shots are GOOD shots

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Curious....

Out of how many times that you actually click the shutter button (or hold down the shutter button) that you actually get a "good" shot.

To go one further, how many times does it take to get a "great" shot.

What define a good shot? A photo can be so sharp but the subject may have his eyes closed :)

What define a good shot?

You do! :lol:

In my experience, I'd say 1 in 5 of my shots are "good". But according to this forum, about 0 in 5 are "good". :blushing:

A lot of harsh critiques for sure. If you do this for $$, you only have to worry about one thing... your client happy.

Last edited:
I aim to get maybe one good shot a month, and one great shot a year.

A lot of hars critiques for sure. If you do this for $$, you only have to worry about one thing... your client happy.

That's why I stay in the beginners forum. :thumbup: I'll never make a dime off of any the pictures I take, and I'm more than happy with that. I just want to open a few folders 40 years from now and smile at the memories I see.

I would say 1 in 20, yes, 1 in 20....
That is why I click so many shots, even of the same pose/subject.

I am going to a studio shootout on Sunday, last time I went I only took about 200 photos, this time I am going to take as many will fill up both my memory cards. click click click is all you will see/hear from me.

I would pose the model, take a shot, pose, shot, this time, I'm going to take 10 or more pictures of the same pose

Printable shots that I would be proud of:

Storm chasing... maybe 1 in 500.

Birding - 1 in 100 (A lot of burst shooting in bracket mode).

Day at the car/motorcycle race or show - 1 in 30 (also a lot of burst shooting).

About 1 in 5 or so.

Lets see, out of the engagement shoot I just did, I shot about 200 shots ... 48 of which, I'll put a lot of time into PP and making it print worthy ... 52 were good, but will just get basic PP to go on the disc to them.

0.01% of my shots are good. About 1 good shot out of 100. And I don't tend to make many shots. A full day out might bet me about 500 shots at most..

2% at best. Usually I only really like 2 out of 500 pictures!

When I was shooting with the Sony DSC H5 it was close to 50%. Even with the shutter lag and painfully. slow. frame. rate.

When I got the 50D/7D I was down to about 15% or less, using old EF glass from like a quarter century ago and learning how to use manual settings. (This is going to be a life-long process, it seems...)

A few weeks ago I invested in some better glass, and the first event I did with the new L I managed well over 40%. That was with both FMX and something I've never done: Concerts. (Daytime was easy, the nighttime (outdoors) was tough!)

Considering I'm just learning the lens I think I'll be able to get beyond what I was getting with the Sony.

Oh, I have to confess... last weekend we took the kids to a hotel where I tried to shoot BIF and got owned by some little black bastids with red/orange shoulders. It's like trying to follow a fly with a frickin' lazer pointer! :twak:

I have had my camera for almost a year.. so far I love two.. The others.. blah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back