What am I doing wrong? Arg

SeoulShots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out for about an hour today to take some shots. I really don't like any of them. What am I doing wrong? Composition? Subject? Lighting? At least I have it totally on manual. *shrug*

4236241709_4061c8bd46.jpg

4237014198_e236fbabf1.jpg

4237022742_2d400c825d_b.jpg

4237008346_94da9b0e31.jpg

Let's start from begging, what don't you like?

I've been taught that images (portraits, trees, building, bugs, w/e) supposed to say a story... if it doesn't say it, it is a wasted frame. It's how I've been taught, how I approach (at least try to) and how I pass on the 411.

If you go out looking for good shot you never end up getting any, not much imagination has gone into these shots just going out for an hour is not enough

Let's start from begging, what don't you like?

I've been taught that images (portraits, trees, building, bugs, w/e) supposed to say a story... if it doesn't say it, it is a wasted frame. It's how I've been taught, how I approach (at least try to) and how I pass on the 411.

I guess just none of them speak to me. It just seems blah.

If you go out looking for good shot you never end up getting any, not much imagination has gone into these shots just going out for an hour is not enough

Yeah, an hour probably isn't enough. Its just freezing here and I shot till I couldn't feel my fingers anymore! lol I'll go out again tomorrow.

Perhaps the extreme weather stifled your ability to "see" a picture.

Crap, I just wrote out a book for you but I went to find a link and accidentally used the same tab and lost it all. :( I'll try to summarize.

You're doing a good job keep your subject in the right part of the frame and you even used some natural framing in #4.

I think the problems with these pics is that they are flat, you've lost detail in the branches, and you have counter-productive intersecting lines.

#1 is close to being a photograph, but there is almost no detail. It's underexposed. It's a tough shot because the sky is backlighting it. The other problem is that there are very strong intersecting lines attracting attention away from the subject. It does have some depth and the subject (the leaf) is the most prominant of the pictures.

#2 is a "snapshot" for several reasons. There is no foreground or background, no details, the unidentifiable subject (the nest?) is too small to be interesting or...well, identifiable, and there is too much going on in the focal range. It's probably a limitation of your lens to get a shot of this particular subject.

#3 might be an interesting subject, but you chose to shoot it in a very uninteresting way, straight on. This makes it look more like a pattern for clothing than a photograph. Try that one again, but from different angles...up, down, left, right...closer, further away. Use the lines to your advantage, not to your disadvantage. I'm not sure if we can post links here, so just google "digital photography school composition" and check out the first non-ad link.

#4 is the same as #2, only more so.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

I like to just hop in my truck and drive for a good portion of a day when I just feel like getting out. No stress to find a photo. Just relax.

Your intent? That is an often overlooked element. Your intent, or mental image of the final should come close to the final product. Though your intent as mine often is, doesn't necessarily qualify as a decent photo.
Visualize the intended output, frame it (compose) then work out the DofF shutter spd, etc.
If the end result stinks, try again or reconsider...
This is as much science as art - and art only the basic concept can be taught, the rest is practice
look at photo sites and examine what works and what doesn't - for you.
Don't recreate the pic but try to recreate the concept...
It is/was a long path to learn this craft and there's always more ahead to perfect
learn to enjoy the learning, step by step

Subject.
Find something worth taking a picture of. These look like you were walking along randomly hitting the shutter by accident.
Find a subject and take a picture of it. Then post it for critique, give us something to work with.

Ive just gone out for 1 hour to give you an idea, landscape is not my thing so there not great' hope they look ok because i processed them on my laptop

755434375_9szxs-M.jpg

755434379_LzVHK-M.jpg

755434327_KBRPb-M.jpg

755434264_eNox3-M.jpg

Ive just gone out for 1 hour to give you an idea, landscape is not my thing so there not great' hope they look ok because i processed them on my laptop

755434375_9szxs-M.jpg

755434379_LzVHK-M.jpg

755434327_KBRPb-M.jpg

755434264_eNox3-M.jpg

Great shots. Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back