What am I doing wrong here?????

LEXTC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All the pictures that I've taken with my new camera are coming out all grainy looking!!! :confused:

I know it has to be some kinda mess up with my settings...

I mean I'd expect more from an 8 mp camera! :confused:

I think I have the ISO up to 800 since it is pretty dark outside,
8mp
p quality - fine
rec mode - normal
color - real
saturation, contrast, sharpness - normal
shutter speed - 1600

without stock flash
1166DSC02552.jpg

With stock flash
1166DSC02553.jpg

I know the grainyness is probably just caused by the lack of light but I know i've seen pictures taken at night look way better than this!!! :confused:

What camera are you using? Is it a point & shoot style digital or is it a Digital SLR?

The sensor in a point & shoot style camera is very small. Small sensors do not perform well at higher ISO settings. You end up with noise...like you have here.

Try setting the ISO to 400 or even 100...and use a tripod with a remote release (or self timer).

You could also try running it through a noise reduction program like Neat Image or Noise Ninja.

ISO 800 is your problem. I can't see a reason for 1/1600 shutter at night. Were you trying to freeze a race car at 200mph? Try it at 200 or 400 and see (if your camera has those ISOs) You can hand hold at the reciprocal of your focal length, so keep that in mind. If it's a point and shoot, try to stay above 1/60 or so, or use a tripod.

Most reactions

Back