what am I doing wrong?

clee27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C please? I just don't get it...I was so excited to go today! Was hoping to get some decent pictures but just no UMPH!!! Someone HELP! I'm depressed about my shots =***(

IMG_8206w.jpg

IMG_8277w.jpg

IMG_8004w.jpg

IMG_7900w.jpg

Those look very very good....

I have to agree with Jimmy; these are nice captures. They're well exposed, good use of focus, and nice composition given the nature of the venue.

What apsect of these do you think needs assistance?

Hi Clee, #3 is the best. #1 is also good but the moment wasn't right as you are aware the background is too distracting, if he moved about 2 feet forward, it would have been just right. Good capture all the same...

sometimes i will go into a project with my mind set to how I want the results, and that doesnt happen so I think I have crap when really I dont. Put them away for a few days and revisit them. You might find that you like them. I think shooting up to the stage is often not an ideal view and you dont get that connection with the subject. Is that what you feel is lacking?

Actually 1 and 4 is off stage, 2 and 3 is on stage and ....i guess i'm just not happy with my work maybe look at it again later...you're right.....

it's just that i was admiring and looking up to these photos at this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126446

and i was just like I JUST WISHED mine were like whoa! LOL I guess that only comes with TONS of experience and nice equipment huh? *sniffles*

I think the back ground lighting and colours played a part in the pop of those in that thread, I like yours they have a good feel of being outside in an open air concert

I think the back ground lighting and colours played a part in the pop of those in that thread, I like yours they have a good feel of being outside in an open air concert

true .... yeah you're right! xooxxooxoxoxo thanks hun xoxoxo

yeah i have to agree with Rachel. The concert in the link you posted looks like it was performed at night and also the stage lighting seems to be more extreme. lighting plays a huuuuge part in those photos as compared to yours. I still think yours are very well done considering the circumstances

Actually 1 and 4 is off stage, 2 and 3 is on stage and ....i guess i'm just not happy with my work maybe look at it again later...you're right.....

it's just that i was admiring and looking up to these photos at this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126446

and i was just like I JUST WISHED mine were like whoa! LOL I guess that only comes with TONS of experience and nice equipment huh? *sniffles*

I wouldn't sweat it. Your shots look great. The thread you referenced had significant blown highlights on the face and definite oversharpening which is something you don't want. I the 2nd shot you can actual see the pixels on the guy's shirt button.

Stay in there and practice, practice. One day you'll wake up and take awesome shots without giving it a second thought.

Everyone on here says lighting is one of the most important factors to a photo. When you shoot outside of a studio, you are kind of a slave to the natural light available. But with the shots the other person took, they had artificial lighting that was really good. Not to take away from the photographer of those photos, but part of the job was done for them. I think if you had a single-colored background and adequate lighting like the photos you wanted yours to look like, you'd be very pleased with your own results.

I like them. I think the background has just enough blur but not too much. and you can really feel the emotion of them singing. Very cool! :)

I think lighting and timing play the biggest roles in concert shots. Personally, I dont think daylight gives the best atmosphere, as the performers do not usually have the same lighting system on them as they do during an evening performance. I dont know how the song was going, but I think your timing was a little off in some which lost some of their appeal. If you look at most good concert shots, they are taken during a more powerful moment when the singer has the most definition in his/her face and body. If I hadn't seen the first 2 shots, I would have guessed it was a speech by the look of the 2nd 2.

Looking at the shots you were modeling after, you can see (as mentioned before) that there was a lighting setup that provided mood in addition to the lighting. Also, look at his face in the 2nd picture. All of those lines help give a feel for the movement of the song.

Of your shots, 2 displays the most emotion, but the lighting is just not there.

Most reactions

Back