What am I doing wrong??!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chris182, Jan 10, 2010.

1. chris182

chris182 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was attemping the take some pictures of my neice cheerleading,she is only 6 so they arent doing really fast crazy stuff. It was at a church gymnasium with horrible florecent lights so when I use flash they all show up dark. I was shooting farely far away with a 55-200 vr lens,most were shot around 80-120mm. I had aperature as far down as f4 I beleive and every picture I took came out really blurry. I am very new and have tried to read up on what I could be doing wrong but I just cant figure it out. When I used the flash,they were more clear,just super dark. Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You don't say how far away you were (in feet or meters), what shooting/metering/focus mode you were using, nor what flash unit and settings.

As a basic statement: Light falls of as a square function that is inversely proportional to distance. (Inverse Square Law of Light)

How are your math skills?

You can calculate the correct exposure:
    f-stop (aperture) = Guide number of your flash (GN at ISO 100, ft/m) x ISO sensitivity x shooting distance (ft/m)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    For a start your lens does not have a fast enough aperture, f2.8 minimum needed
    what iso were you using, i would say if the lighting was only horrible florecent lights you would probably have to be at iso3200 minimum