What am i doing wrong??

ok thanks all i will try your sugestions tomorow and report back. i kind of want to get this all figured out soon because i am taking a trip to washinton DC and surounding areas and may be going to an aquarium so it would be cool to be able to take some neat pics

Don't use flash directed at the glass. Either use the available light, or bounce your flash directly from above. I have some aquarium shots at my home laptop and I'll post them up when I get back.

Some basics while shooting through glass (and aquariums): off-camera flash (that gets rid of the flat look), use a high vantage point (as Kami said) - that give a more "natural" look and shadows, use a polarizer (eliminates reflections from the glass), use a tripod and manual focusing (don't expect the camera to know what you're interested in), pre-focus and wait for the fish to move into position, take several exposures and see which ones give you the best over-all rendition, then set that exposure in manual so that your exposure doesn't get influenced by the bright or dark fish moving around. Good aquarium photography isn't easy.

Here's a few pics I took with flash bounced or with no flash. The Jellyfish shot and fishtank I had to bump the ISO up bigtime. These were taken with the D80.

Edit: These photos are also uploaded to photobucket so they don't look as good. (I wondered why they kinda looked a little off.)
7-4.jpg

8-4.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

28.jpg

29-1.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back