What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AndyH, Sep 9, 2010.

1. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It seems like I can't take a good pic! Is it me or the camera or both? lol! I can't ever seem to get good composition and when I do, the pic looks like crap. I took over 50 shots of my guitar and only a few turned out alright. I just could not get good lighting. I tried outside and inside, flash and no flash. I shot mostly on aperture priority. My camera will go f2.7 to f8. I shot mostly on f2.7. Any advice? Here's a few that turned out ok.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well youre using a P&S so the flash will be rather harsh...can you set up some constant lights?...even some cheapy work lamps from home depot?

for some inspiration, maybe search 'guitar' on flickr and see if anything strikes your fancy.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is sort of like saying "I tried a D chord and a C chord...and I don't know why I don't sound like Clapton". ;)

There is a whole lot more to lighting that just inside/outside, flash or not. And since photography literally means 'drawing with light'...it's pretty important.

I'd suggest finding some shots on the internet that you do like, then trying to figure out what sort of lighting was used (we can help you there).

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You're not doing anything wrong; you just have more to learn. Good composition and lighting can take years of practice to get down pat. Technically this image is fine; it's sharp, the WB is good, but artistically it does leave something to be desired.

First of all, what is your intended use for the images? That is, will they be for insurance records, artistic, advertising, or?? Each of them require a different approach. Spend some time on-line, Google "photographic composition" and simlar terms.

As far as lighting goes, spend some time reading the Strobist.

5. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

psssst! Mike! Come here!

Waddaya say we leave the guitar analogies alone? OK, Buddy?

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :lmao::lmao:

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :blushing:
    I knew that one was weak.

8. lordfly

lordfly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The composition is good... the lighting is a little harsh on the first image. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. :)

9. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice! I'm just taking these pics for artistic purposes. I'll try to find some examples of what I'm trying to do and post them. Is aperture priority mode the best way to shoot these pics?

10. Taylor510ce

Taylor510ce TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the subject is stationary, I would use Aperture priority, but be sure you have a tripod or higher ISO if its low light. I think you should post a few of the "Not so good" pictures, that would help us tell you what was wrong. You are asking us what you are doing wrong, but showing us pictures that aren't really that bad at all. Doesn't make sense.

11. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok here's a pic of what I'd like to do
    [​IMG]

here's a pic I took earlier where I couldn't get it to look right. Looks like lots of noise and not sharp to me.
    [​IMG]

12. enzodm

enzodm No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At this resolution is difficult to tell about noise, however if you feel there is too much noise, perhaps you are shooting at high ISO. If so, lower ISO (possibly to the minimum if you like sharp images), which will mean you need longer exposure times, better reached with a tripod. It is also slightly underexposed.
    As I'm beginner (more or less), I can't tell nothing about lighting, however the first picture seems to have been taken in controlled light conditions, most likely no flash or no flash on camera at least. Look at 3D sense given by the curve on top left in the body, which has been evidentiated by light.
    However, the main difference between the two remains composition: choice of colors (cream and red) and position in the former picture will result better even with noise :D.