What are 18-55mm EF-S lenses good for?

Hello guys,

I just bought a Rebel XT with a 18-55mm lens. What are these lenses good at shooting? (Abstract, Landscape, indoor, ect).

It's a really handy lense as long as your able to get up close with whatever you're shooting. I purchased my D40 kit and it came with this lense. I can't wait to get another lense in the 18-200 or 55-200 range because I've found this to be the norm of what I'm shooting.

18-55 in general is a good all around lens. Use it for anything. But the kit 18-55 from Canon is just gross, don't you think? Just feel it and turn its rings; that is lowww build quality. But the optics are reasonably rated, so I guess that's what matters.

I guess Canon likes to make sure that you notice the difference when you buy an L lens and hold it in your hands. :lol:

The IS version of the 18-55mm is actually a good little lens optically. I don't like the manual focusing or the front element that turns (it makes using a polarizer a pita). But it was priced right.
...Terry

It's a really handy lense as long as your able to get up close with whatever you're shooting. I purchased my D40 kit and it came with this lense. I can't wait to get another lense in the 18-200 or 55-200 range because I've found this to be the norm of what I'm shooting.

Good for macro shooting?

Any lens can be good for just about anything. It just depends on the photographer ;)

The IS version of the 18-55mm is actually a good little lens optically. I don't like the manual focusing or the front element that turns (it makes using a polarizer a pita). But it was priced right.
...Terry

Just was at Target today and they had the Xsi there with this on it. I really like the lens but i really didnt like the camera, but i dont shoot canon.

Well for real macro shots your gonna want a macro lens (duhrr) but i think it will pretty decent at it.

Hhhhuuh.. Big Mike, you and your philosophical riddles..:confused::p

Ok.. Is this 18-55mm lens better thenothers for macro photography?

It will not produce a true 1:1, so it is not a macro lens. It will get as close as 9.8".

Well its not a dedicated macro lens - so (from my understandings) it cannot get 1:1 ratio on the sensor, so you will never be able to do real macro work with it. That said you can get some good close-up shots with it.

Most reactions

Back