What are good books to learn the basics??

assentingsilence

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm really new to photography and want to read and learn as much as possible about general photography. Particularly aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc...

Can anyone recommend some good books to help me along the way?

I just started reading Understanding Exposure and I think it is wonderful. I recommend it.

Go to your local library and check out the photography books. I found all kinds of great books there, most of them are brand new and never been checked out! Best of all they are free to borrow!

I'm really new to photography and want to read and learn as much as possible about general photography. Particularly aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc...

Can anyone recommend some good books to help me along the way?

Kodak made a series of books dating back to the early 80's that were excellent primers on the basics of photography. They were well written with the beginner in mind. Although they are pre-digital they teach the basics that apply to all cameras very well. You should be able to find them in public libraries or used book stores. Worth searching out.

I'll also say go for Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - its a good book for getting an understandable explination of exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how they all relate and link together. Note that most books for photography (esp the beginner level ones) will cover this material as well in a general sense, but understanding exposure tends to give a more complete explination than they do.

Everything you need is available on the Internet. I would just google what you wanted to know and you'll find hundreds of articles to give you info.

I would save the book purchases for things like editing software. Example, you buy Photoshop elements, I'd buy a book so u can get the most out of it.

YouTube is your friend also.

It takes about 10 miniutes to understand iso, aperature, shutter speed etc. It's not rocket science, and quite frankly, it's simple.

It's the people making money off photagraphy that want you to believe it's tough. It's not.....at all.

I could take a wedding shoot and have it comparable to someone who charges 500-1000 dollars.

It's easy. Dive in.

ahh but books don't crash, need power and are easily portable too (far lighter than laptops and you don't have to look for a power socket either) ;)

I do agree that the net is a fantastic resource for info - forums and websites - there is a lot out there that one can find. But I do think that few choice books on the shelf are good for quicker refrencing, on the go work and for being easier to read than text on a screen (least I find things that way).

Books don't crash! Good one, but not really a reason to forego the net. As a reference for looking back, once you learn the basics, you won't forget. For editing software books, good to go back and look.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. It's been extremely helpful. Just one of the many reasons that I'm a member of this forum.

It takes about 10 miniutes to understand iso, aperature, shutter speed etc. It's not rocket science, and quite frankly, it's simple.

It's the people making money off photagraphy that want you to believe it's tough. It's not.....at all.

I could take a wedding shoot and have it comparable to someone who charges 500-1000 dollars.

It's easy. Dive in.
Uh huh.

You are a joke, right?

Most reactions

Back