What are Lens Hoods for?

I could just as easily state that those who choose NOT to use a lens hood are idiots.

Prove me wrong.

BTW, I don't use UV filters, but always a hood.

Any extraneous light coming into the lens will cause degradation of the image ... whether or not you can visually see it.

A lens hood is designed for this specific purpose.

It should always be used.

If nothing more to make your lens bigger:lol:

Lens hoods attract hawt chicks.

Oh BOY I just love the "lens caps are for amateurs" bit. That makes PERFECT sense. Lens caps are only for people who don't have the money to keep buying 4k dollar lenses every 6 months like he does. Obviously he's the only real professional around.

He's not an elitist jerk he's a down right idiot. There is NO perfect anti glare coating. It just doesn't exist. Hoods are just as important on a $4000 lens as they are on a cheap lens. They are just more important on cheap lenses due to poor coatings. Even Nikon N coated lenses have flare.

Hmm...I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say entirely.

There's a section on that site where the guy [Ken Rockwell] specifically says that pros 'don't have time for a lens cap' and what I mean by 'lens cap' is... 'lens cap' .... I use a lens cap. So what? Lens manufacturers don't give you a lens cap so you can throw it away!

I don't mean lens hood. He said that storing the lens hood backwards was dumb. Well, good job. I guess having a preference makes me dumb too.

Oh I didn't misunderstand I completely misread. Sorry.

But yeah he's still an idiot. If he wants to clean his lens every day or worse yet break one, and have a lens+hood take up almost twice the space in his bag that's up to him.

Lens hoods attract hawt chicks.
lol...:lmao:

Personally though, aside from all the technical aspects of why a lens hood is good, I believe it does add that little more of a professionalism if we were to judge the 'looks' of it. However, some lens just does not fit having a lens hood.

I mount my hoods backwards and I am Proud of it. :p
Keep in mind Rockwell also claims the D40 is like the one of the
greatest cameras. hehe.... LOL.... Kinda like saying a Hummer can corner like a Ferrari. Yeah they can both get the job done and
get around the corner,but the Ferrari can do it a heck of a lot better. :lmao:

Last edited:
Personally, my opinion on Ken Rockwell is simple... the more you talk about him, the more attention he gets, the longer he stays. If I had to guess, I think he makes some of these outlandish remarks because it stirs up controversy, which stirs up interest in him. Ignore him and don't ever comment on him and eventually he may lose some of his magic powers and go away... or at least stop being such a dip****.

Kinda like saying a Hummer can corner like a Ferrari. Yeah they can both get the job done and
get around the corner,but the Ferrari can do it a heck of a lot better. :lmao:

:fangs: That statement really deppends on the make up of the corner!! :p I have a friend with a very nice Corvette and once challenged me to a race with my Jeep. I said I would but. I choose the first mile, he chooses the second mile. But for some reason he backed down. :lol: I don't think he liked my choice for the first mile. :lmao:

Just like the D40. It would be the best DSLR ever made in a group that included the D40, Pentax K1000, Canon AE-1, or Minolta X-370 :lol: It all deppends on the make up of the study / group. :mrgreen:

Just playing devil's advocate. :sexywink:

Why so much sarcasm?

It's this weird convergence of the first responder answering the question to the 98.3% completeness level, this question coming up about 8-10 times a month and a few people having a sense of humor. On an internet message board, the horror!!! :)

Hey, I thought I got to the 95% mark. :lol: :lmao: :lol: :mrgreen:

Personally, my opinion on Ken Rockwell is simple... the more you talk about him, the more attention he gets, the longer he stays. If I had to guess, I think he makes some of these outlandish remarks because it stirs up controversy, which stirs up interest in him. Ignore him and don't ever comment on him and eventually he may lose some of his magic powers and go away... or at least stop being such a dip****.

I don't mean to change the subject (actually I am and I apologize to the thread starter), but it seems like everyone has an issue with Ken Rockwell, why?

Because he's the first google hit, yet a horribly over opinionated and one sided and very not neutral source of (mis?)information on the net. A good quick resource if you have a fully functional bull**** meter sitting on your desk, but overall he causes too many "but ken rockwell says" type posts from people who don't know any better on the net.

Oh and everyone would buy just a D40 and an 18-200 lens because they are the best things ever! :)

Most reactions

Back