What are my long glass options

I've got a line on a lightly used 70-200 2.8, for about $1450 - I'm going to follow that up and see where it leads.

I've got a line on a lightly used 70-200 2.8, for about $1450 - I'm going to follow that up and see where it leads.

That's the problem with Nikkor glass... it is a rare day in paradise when you can get a deal on them. It is almost worth the extra $200 to get that 5 year warranty and have a new one.

New it's going for $1799 hear, so with Harper's cut that brings it to about $2015 - this will save me $550. Not 100% certain if I'll go for it or not, but I'm going to meet up and have a look at it tomorrow.

I keep forgetting to look at your country of origin and in general prices around here are tossed around in either US or british pounds. If you can pick that baby up for 1450Cdn and no taxes, oh heck yes thats a good price.

Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

If your new to long lenses I would suggest getting the 80-400 before spending some serious cash on primes. The 80-400 will give you a good idea of what your wants and needs will truly be at a reasonable cost and still deliver excellent optics and IQ. The 70-200 f/2.8 along with a TC is an option but swapping in and out the TC will cause lost opportunities IMHO at first.

I'm a Canon guy and have the 70-200 L f/2.8, the 100-400L and the 400 L f/2.8. The 100-400 L gets the most use because of its versatility especially if your immobile(up a tree, in a blind or in the grandstands).

I'm more of a wildlife guy and the 100-400 is my exploring lens, once I found my subject I move on to the 400 L f/2.8 on a tripod or monopod in a blind. The zoom on the 100-400 lets me respond in an instant to any situation.

Also you need to decide do you really need a fast f/2.8. Are going to shoot sports or offhand a lot? Then the 2.8 is justafied, same for really low light conditions. The 80-400 is a great place to start and it is a lens that you can easily sell down the line if you need to. My guess is you would keep it anyway. Long lenses are another whole skill set you need to master, buying the glass doesn't equal instant success, there will be a learning curve and the longer the glass the trickier it can be.

Based on thoughts here, as well as a few other factors, I'm really leaning toward the 200mm/f2.8 w/ TC option. I really can't justify the cost of a new 300mm or longer prime, and even a used one isn't going to be all that useful, since I'm not a hard-core birder. I like the fact that the 200 & TC will fit in my big gadget bag as well.

From those that have/ have used the 200mm, how is it for hand-holding?
Just noticed this, a 70-200+ a TC will not be enough for birds, even at 400 you will feel a bit short.

If you want a really nice piece of glass, and don't mind shopping ebay, good deals can be had on the 500mm f/4P. It's a manual focus, but has the matrix chip which allows for full metering and works in all exposure modes. I just picked one up for just a bit over $2K, and it (and the case) is in near pristine condition.

Here it is sitting next to the 70-200mm. I used a TC-14E on the 70-200 for quite a while, and it gives pretty good results, but nothing beats a prime.

lenses.jpg

Just noticed this, a 70-200+ a TC will not be enough for birds, even at 400 you will feel a bit short.

You just have to be a lot sneakier. I got a lot of good bird shots with that combo...But the 500mm is MUCH nicer.....:mrgreen:

nothing beats a prime.

I agree, but I don't use ultra-long glass enough to justify the cost of something like that, even though 2K would be a steal. Basically what I want to is to be able to reach out occasionally. The 70-200 will be, I suspect used sans TC most of the time anyway, but it's nice to have the option.

70_200.jpg

The deed is done.... home safe and sound, and $1400 poorer! The TC gets ordered next week! :D

Is that the Canadian version? Damn, you guys are lucky, I usually have to attach a body to the lens. :lol:

Congrats. I know you'll enjoy. Which TC are you going with?

I'm liking it already - nothing like being able to hand-hold 200mm at 1/80 second!! Going with the 1.7TC

Congrats on the purchase, awesome price too! The 70-200 is one of those lenses that just keeps pumping out pic after fantastic pic. I love mine.

Is that the Canadian version? Damn, you guys are lucky, I usually have to attach a body to the lens. :lol:
We're just that good, even Chuck Norris feels pangs of awe in our presence now and then.

:lol: I cracked me up.

If I wanted to add a TC, the the Nikkor 1.7 is the exact one I would choose too. For me, it is the perfect compromise between mm increases and not loosing too much light. Two stops with the 2X is a bit more challenging (though just cranking it up to ISO 3200 would not be a concern for me on the D700).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back