What are the differences between these HDR pictures?

mschoelen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelschoelen.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to learn about HDR technique and ended up searching HDR on flickR. Now I have seen some that look cartoonish (first picture below) and some that look very realistic (second picture below). Are they even both HDR pictures? Maybe i'm just getting alot of these cartoon looking pictures when typing HDR? What are the differences? Is it something you can change in photoshop, or something you have to worry about while taking the picture? What kinds of things will change the outcome of the picture? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

http://static.flickr.com/55/124743492_95f77c925e.jpg

http://www.tonyhowell.co.uk/new/4577lakedistrict.jpg

I would like to add (incase you didn't see) neither one of these are my pictures. Hopefully the people won't mind, since I am trying to learn :)

I dont think you can leave these pictures up im affraid..... if they are not yours, you cant display them.

However i will answer your question anyway...... yes they both could be HDR... the first one looks like its been done in Photomatix to me.... and the second was probably done in Photoshop. This doesnt really matter because either method can be done in either programme..... but photomatix quite often gives more of a cartoony look.

Really all thats happened here is the processing...... the second image is quite subtle.... once (if*) the HDR method has been applied, using a simple local adaption, not much else has been done to it.

The first image however has been 'tinkered' with in the HDR process to make all the shadows and highlights fairly even..... again using local adaption. But when its been bought into photoshop the contrast has then been enhanced.....(even tho the tones are still quite even) and very possibly the shadow highlight tool has been used to maximise every last bit of info the image has. This can make the image look unatural..... and gives you the illustration look to it.

* im not so sure this image is even HDR.... or if it is, then the sky has been replaced and the forground hasnt benefited from the HDR process.

Hope this helps.

My best guess would be that neither image is HDR. The bottom one is not HDR from the EXIF information - 1/1000th at f8 in aperture priority mode at 23mm Auto Exposure Auto White Balance Capture Normal -2EV exposure compensation (Watendlath Tarn, near Keswick, The Lake District, Cumbria, England).

The top one is a composite image I would say. The sky and the tank are almost certainly not shot on the same day with the same focal length / focussing point. I would think it's a stock photo of a tank with a stock photo of a stormy sky taken by different people on different occasions and then photoshopped together by someone different again.

Just my guess - anyone else?

Rob

mschoelen, since these two example pics are not your own, I changed your posting them to mere links. People can still click on the links and see what you mean. Only don't we display work that isn't ours in any of our galleries. All right?

And I am interested in our real experts' answers to your question, too!

mschoelen said:
Now I have seen some that look cartoonish (first picture below) and some that look very realistic (second picture below). Are they even both HDR pictures? Maybe i'm just getting alot of these cartoon looking pictures when typing HDR? What are the differences?

I don't know if these are both HDR or not, but I understand what you are asking. The look to an HDR image has a lot to do with local contrast (google it for tons of info). Local contrast can be manipulated in many different ways besides HDR images created from multiple exposures: burning, dodging, lighting control, and so on.

The "cartoonish" look is just local contrast manipulation taken to an extreme. It looks like a painting or illustration, because that's where we are used to seeing such exaggerated local contrast manipulation. Right now the software Photomatix is very popular for creating HDR images, and it comes with a plug-in for tone-mapping (another local contrast manipulation method). At it's default settings it tends to spit out these illustration looking images. Adobe CS2 HDR software defaults tend to start out with a more subtle, realistic look. If the settings are played with it's possible get the realistic look with Photomatix, and the cartoony look with CS2.

Most reactions

Back