What are the differences in the Nikon Lens series?

jbeuthin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I have a Nikon D40x, and since I've heard such good things about the "Nifty Fifty" I'd like to purchase one. I looked on eBay but I couldn't tell which one to purchase based upon the different lens series. I'd like the 1.8, but beyond that, what do I look for?

there are about 4 or 5 different nikkor 50mm lenses.... only one of which will autofocus on the D40/60/5000

the one that will autofocus on your camera is the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G, and of course it's the most expensive next to the NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2, which won't autofocus or meter on your camera.

the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D and the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D are the most commonly purchased of the nikkor 50mm lenses and are fully functional on your camera except for autofocus.

which one should you get? if you're ok with manual focus and don't have a budget then get the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D

if you're ok with manual focus but you're on a budget then get the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D

if you're not ok with manual focus then you're screwed, you're stuck with the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

something else to consider.... the "nifty fifty" is a common lens because it's considered a "normal" or "standard" focal length. this is when it's used on a Full Frame (FX) or Film camera. nikon released the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G which is considered the "normal" or "standard" for APS-C (DX) format. so you might want to look at that lens as well, it will autofocus on your camera.

there are about 4 or 5 different nikkor 50mm lenses.... only one of which will autofocus on the D40/60/5000

the one that will autofocus on your camera is the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G, and of course it's the most expensive next to the NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2, which won't autofocus or meter on your camera.

the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D and the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D are the most commonly purchased of the nikkor 50mm lenses and are fully functional on your camera except for autofocus.

which one should you get? if you're ok with manual focus and don't have a budget then get the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D

if you're ok with manual focus but you're on a budget then get the AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D

if you're not ok with manual focus then you're screwed, you're stuck with the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

something else to consider.... the "nifty fifty" is a common lens because it's considered a "normal" or "standard" focal length. this is when it's used on a Full Frame (FX) or Film camera. nikon released the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G which is considered the "normal" or "standard" for APS-C (DX) format. so you might want to look at that lens as well, it will autofocus on your camera.

Nikon Makes a 50mm f/1.2???

I would not consider the 50MM F/1.2 the best 50MM Nikon has. It might be best for subjective "bokeh", but on a performance versus price level it is handily beaten by the F/1.8.

Having said that, OP just get the F/1.4G if you can afford it and live happy.

who said anything about best performance for the price?
performance wise all around the 1.2 is the best 50mm nikon makes. period.

For the price? 50/1.8. You simply can't go wrong with a lens like that for $150. It has NO distortion, period. As far as I'm concerned, it's only flaw is that it's a bit soft wide open, but absolutely perfect by f/2.8.

For the price? 50/1.8. You simply can't go wrong with a lens like that for $150. It has NO distortion, period. As far as I'm concerned, it's only flaw is that it's a bit soft wide open, but absolutely perfect by f/2.8.

what's the point? there was never a question or debate on price/performance ratio. everyone knows the best bang for the buck is the 50mm f/1.8. it simply doesn't match the performance of the 50mm f/1.2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back