What are these for?

amara_shadow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question, which is probably obvious, but I just want to double check. When I bought my camera, which I have now had for a week :D it came with 3 filters (+1, +2 and +4). Is someone able to tell me exactly what these filters are used for? Thanks heaps for all your help. The advice and help I have had here has been fantastic.

You got a closeup set. Put one on the end of your lens...bigger number equals more magnification.
Get up close to something and focus on it...it'll look huge.

They sound like close-up lenses rather than filters. Do they behave like simple lenses - like weak magnifying glasses? Are they clear or coloured?

The +1, +2 and +4 probably means the 'dioptres' of the lenses, if they are lenses. The 'dioptre' is a measurement of the lens' power, so the higher the dioptre the more powerful the lens is. They screw in to the front of the main lens (sometimes called the 'prime lens', though 'prime lens' has another meaning as well) to produce a combined lens with a shorter focal length, allowing you to focus closer.

They generally work best when the prime lens is stopped down, because most close-up lenses are not very well corrected for aberrations.

Best,
Helen

Hm. I've never heard of these magnifying filters included in camera sets before. Glad you got some answers.

If you love close-up photography, I'd recommend you buy a macro lens. They really allow you to get up close and personal, with sharp results - pricey lenses though!

Have fun with your new "toy" :)

Most reactions

Back