What are we coming to?

Verbal

$100
Reaction score
Oh my goodness... :lmao:

http://techdirt.com/articles/20051117/1029247_F.shtml

article said:
There have been plenty of stories about how text messaging can be a way to boost a student's interest in reading, and lots of other stories about text messaging as a study aid for exams. It appears that one service is trying to combine the two ideas, creating greatly condensed versions of classic novels into a single SMS text message. This goes beyond Cliffs Notes. In fact, it's sort of like if you created a Cliffs Notes of a Cliffs Notes version of a story, and then reduced it to txt speak. For example, the entire Romeo & Juliet, for your mobile studying pleasure: "FeudTween 2hses- Montague&Capulet. RomeoMfalls_<3w/_JulietC@mary Secretly Bt R kils J's Coz &&is banishd. J fakes Death. As Part of Plan2b-w/R Bt_leter Bt It Nvr Reachs Him. Evry1confuzd-bothLuvrs kil Emselves." Okay, perhaps they're overstating the... um... educational value of these messages.

oh great ... another reason for our wonderful standardized test scores to plummet!

:confused:

anicole said:
oh great ... another reason for our wonderful standardized test scores to plummet!

:confused:

Hes right...

This entire world is dumming everything down....thats where they make things simpler for people to understand :)

Artemis said:
Hes right...

This entire world is dumming everything down....thats where they make things simpler for people to understand :)

that's what I meant ... I get email from my 16 year old step son that I have to decode because he uses teenspeak instead of real words. Then he wonders why he makes a 'D' in English ...

anicole said:
that's what I meant ... I get email from my 16 year old step son that I have to decode because he uses teenspeak instead of real words. Then he wonders why he makes a 'D' in English ...

Heh, a common ailment troubling many kids today. I wonder if there's a cure? For me, it was being homeschooled and brought up in a family that encouraged me to read and educate myself to the highest level possible.

the cure for it in my house is not responding until they (three kiddies) use proper grammer. May seem harsh, and I don't do it all the time, but when I hear "I seen a deer on the way home" it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. And when I hear "Alls I have are ..." :puke-rig:

Is it so difficult to use REAL words and use them correctly?

LittleMan said:
I agree with you Anicole... but just for the record.. "y'all" IS a real word... :mrgreen:

honeychild ... if you gonna speak suth'rn, you betta learn ta spell it ...

it's ya'll ...... :lol:

btw, you're from TEXAS and don't know how to spell it?

hidee nayber!

anicole said:
honeychild ... if you gonna speak suth'rn, you betta learn ta spell it ...

it's ya'll ...... :lol:

btw, you're from TEXAS and don't know how to spell it?

hidee nayber!

Whaaaaa?! It is DEFINITELY "y'all". As in "you all"? *Sigh* Here we go... lol

Verbal said:
Whaaaaa?! It is DEFINITELY "y'all". As in "you all"? *Sigh* Here we go... lol

heck, it's always been ya'll to me ... maybe I learned the 'old english' and ya'll learned the 'new english' ... :lol:

whateveh ... besides ... I'm old. I can make up my own ... as long as it's basically proper.

and if you want to get technical southern, it's yawl!

you learn by reacting to unexpected/difficult things

if you live in a world where everything is either A) easy and/or B) expected, then what have you learned?

they say people in more closely-compacted areas of the world - areas like southeast asia and south america - are smarter, not because of what they know, but because they developed properly via lots of social interaction/language use and physical activity as a child, disciplined via need for survival, etc. and if they were taught the same tasks we're taught, they'd end up doing better... unfortunately most of these people also live in poverty for the very same reasons, and many are unhealthy and thus - lack of good developmental growth or worse - death, and in other cases, they're culturally inclined not to participate with the western world's version of things

if the kids don't learn proper language skills, then i guess they'll just have to learn the hard way :)

if'n i had to be any closer to people, i think i would do serious damage.. besides, where me and nicole live, you dont wanna socialize.... trust us.

Although I now live in Indiana, I was born in Kentucky and raised in Florida and spent my teen years in Ohio. That makes me a hillbillybuckahoocracker. It also makes me at least part redneck. It always amazed me how we could make a whole sentence out of a single word. Jeff Foxworthy had made a fortune out of the concept. For instance : Yaontoo? This would be redneck for "Do you want to?"

My neice says it's easier to type like that. R instead of are and all that jazz. I make fun of her for it. (I'm "cool" enough in her book to at least make her think about it)

I've always said "kill your cellphone". I'll never own a cellphone, until the day I die. (and then I'll want one buried with me so I can call if I'm actually still alive)

;)

Seriously though, typing in "geekspeak" for lack of a better word (geeks don't even use it anymore) just shows unintelligence. The sooner kids realize that, the better.

Most reactions

Back