What are we here for?

but forums are part of the internet - they are using the web to find answers - not in a way you might agree with, use yourself or like, but its a valid reason to use the internet and thus forum.

I still say if you don't like those questions don't look at them - just use your own self control to ignor them and focus on the parts you do like.
I mean take me - I hate baby photos, but I don't go around insulting those that do do that work - if I open a thread with them I just close it and move on.

I hate baby photos, but I don't go around insulting those that do do that work - if I open a thread with them I just close it and move on.

:lol: Overread is a baby hater!

I personally hate duck photos, sorry.

Overread, I'll agree that forums are a part of the internet, and a valid form of research. I'll add that they are the easiest way out, though. "...give a man a fish..."

I mean take me - I hate baby photos, but I don't go around insulting those that do do that work - if I open a thread with them I just close it and move on.
See, I am the opposite. I may not like baby pics, or car pics, but I will read those threads, I still want to learn about what makes a good car photo, because someday, somebody might want me to do it. I may not like the subject, but it is information gathering after all. *raises fist* cuz Knowledge is Power!

oh true I do that as well (sometimes) but you get what I mean - I don't complain about the threads themselves nor do I start having a go at the people posting them. Its something that some people do start to do and its not only rude, but it casts a bad view over the whole forum as well.

I love to use Opanda to read the Exif information on pictures. I peruse here as well as other sites on the web to see how others are doing things. Some of the links provided here are so informative with the information you get.

Once a month, I will save my bookmarks folder off the computer with all my pictures. Just so I don't loose them.

I'm here for the big long threads about offensive armband pictures! :lol: (KIDDING!)

I orginally came here to have people oo and aah at my images. I quickly found out that wasn't going to happen because my pictures were horrible. :lol: I, however, also learned that a lot of people here will spend time trying to help you and I really wanted to learn, so I hung out. Now I stay so I can try to help others, hopefully still learn some things myself (always lots to learn!), and because by and large I think the people here are great.

Yeah, there are some twits... there always are, but actually I find the population of them here pretty low, and interestingly I think the forum weeds them out fairly quickly and most of them don't break 1000 posts before bailing. Some don't even make 100.

The sad thing is when I see lots of "100 poster on 100 poster action!!!!"... it sounds really hawt, but in reality it's often some new person bashing the hell out of some other new person... and sadly the bashee thinks that "this is what the forum is all about?!" and leaves.

I'm sure this post offended a variety of people. I would refer you all to the (now closed, but very amusing) thread on offensive armbands I mentioned earlier. :lol:

after reading some of the post by some of the more advanced posters (the ones that act like professional photographers) i'm absolutely petrified to ask a question for fear that i'll be bashed for not having searched for an answer before i asked the question... i guess i'll keep lurking.

after reading some of the post by some of the more advanced posters (the ones that act like professional photographers) i'm absolutely petrified to ask a question for fear that i'll be bashed for not having searched for an answer before i asked the question... i guess i'll keep lurking.

Not always the case. Sure there are those who have little patience when somebody doesn't use the search function, but they can just as easily let somebody who just learned the answer to your question take care of providing you with the info they've received. I don't mind answering questions about the routine questions that come here and you shouldn't be afraid to ask. This community is about helping each other develop our talents, and the beginner's forum is the perfect place to ask a "dumb" question.

first off, the only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.

Second, not everyone is net or computer savvy. As such, their ability to search, google or otherwise look for an answer may not be to the same level I or someone else could do.

if someone with more experience can't remember or intentionally forgets to remember this and lashes out, I would like to know. It shows a level of "patience" that I would like to know about.

In my eyes, a "professional" (choose your profession) is one that not only is looked up to for an answer, but has the patience to grow with those they instruct.

The reason I personally get snarky with simple questions on an internet forum, is because you are on the internet! Use it! Perhaps in addition to helping people learn photography, we should also teach them basic research skills? For instance, a user reads a post and sees the word bokeh. Instead of posting a reply asking what bokeh is, the user can open a new tab in which the users favorite search engine is the home page, and type bokeh and hit enter. With one click and 6 keystrokes all the information you need is right there. It actually takes far more time to click reply, type "What does bokeh mean?" and then sit back and wait for someone to answer. In a world where people argue that schools are failing at educating people, I see a different problem. People are unable or unwilling to educate themselves. Mannnn...if I had the internet when I was kid....

i couldn't agree more. people have just gotten lazy

I'm just here for the free BEER!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

FREE BEER?! WHERE!?!?!

i've obviously been looking at the wrong threads apparently. :grumpy:

Well we can tell who has read ALL of the FAQ and who hasn't, can't we. If you had read ALL of the FAQ you would have known about the free BEER. And now you know why some of my posts to newbie questions has in it. R.T.F.M. :lol: :lmao: :mrgreen: :cheers:

p.s. No my avatar isn't just a picture, it's a way of life.

Overread, I'll help you out so you don't have to waste your time opening and then closing... just NEVER click on a thread by linpelk. She loves those stupid babies!

Do you like hugs? :hug:: Cute pink cats?:cat:

Are we here to share information/ ask questions or just to share images, C&C and say ooohh, look what new toy I got?
The way you worded this, sounds like you are belittling a valid educational tool. To have a place to get decent criticism, is gold. You can only learn so much from books/text. You can't submit an image to a book and have it tell you if you are progressing.

Thanks for making me look at how I posed that question, I should have worded it differently you are correct (I think for the context of the post and responses I will leave it that way for now though) I feel like I personally am so new to all of this still, heck I actually did ask about post processing/editing the other day, that I don't think I'm ready to waste peoples time asking for C&C when I can still find problems/issues with my own photos. But I do agree that a place with good C&C is gold.

The reason I personally get snarky with simple questions on an internet forum, is because you are on the internet! Use it! Perhaps in addition to helping people learn photography, we should also teach them basic research skills? For instance, a user reads a post and sees the word bokeh. Instead of posting a reply asking what bokeh is, the user can open a new tab in which the users favorite search engine is the home page, and type bokeh and hit enter. With one click and 6 keystrokes all the information you need is right there. It actually takes far more time to click reply, type "What does bokeh mean?" and then sit back and wait for someone to answer. In a world where people argue that schools are failing at educating people, I see a different problem. People are unable or unwilling to educate themselves. Mannnn...if I had the internet when I was kid....

I can agree that some people do not put "basic" research abilities/opportunities to good use. In my case sometimes I don't actually know what it is I'm really looking for or is hard for me to explain or find the information in a context that makes sense. I actually spent a whole evening searching one of the encyclopedia sites searching all the different types of lenses so I could understand. From someone like my mom's point of view she can barely find a business phone # online let alone grasp the concept of how a forum works but there are times that she still wants information.

On a side note does anyone know how to open a new tab in firefox without opening a new browser window?

On a side note does anyone know how to open a new tab in firefox without opening a new browser window?
click on <File>

It will show you things like ctrl-N and other things.

Those are your keyboard shortcuts for whatever program you are in.

If you use <ctrl-tab> you can cycle between your tabs.

if you use <alt-tab> you can cycle between your windows.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back