What are you reading?

Currently I'm reading Life after Death by Damon Echols about his time on death row. He is one of the West Memphis 3.

That whole thing about those three kids is quite the story. Sad really how our justice system is set up to put innocent people away like that. Even worse IMO, is that they had to plead guilty in order to gain their freedom because if they didn't Damon may have been put to death and on top of that no one was held in any way responsible for all the years of prison. At least that's my take after watching the three documentaries on them.

The Cider House Rules. Never read it or saw the film. I read part of a John Irving novel many years ago and wasn't really in the mood for it, so I ended up ignoring him for a long time, but I'm glad I'm back now.

I've got that on my shelf and plan to read it. Haven't seen the movie and would like to read the book first.

Just started The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. I was talking about books with a fellow filmwaster a few weekends ago and he highly recommended it. Lo and behold, when I got home, I realized I had it on my shelf, so I dug right in :)

(I have a lot of books on my shelves. :048: )

I have a lot of books on my shelves. :048:

Yeah, I'm there, plus the ones that got packed in boxes at some point and were never unpacked.

Just finished The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. Have now moved on to Raised from the Ground by Jose Saramago.

A re-read. The Fountainhead - by Ayn Rand.
dude, i thought she was so hot when she was younger. But the political baggage ya know..

A Reading of Modern Art by Dore Ashton. It's kind of pompous at times, as is most stuff written by critics, but there's always something interesting in any informed writing on art.

Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier.

And, although not exactly reading, I can't take my eyes off Other Americas by Sebastiao Salgado (30th anniversary reprint).

Interrupted my reading of Saramago to read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. It started slow but once it picked up, it's quite good. It's long so I've got another two days or so and then I'll finish the other book. I don't normally like to read two books at once like this but the second book was for my book club so I wanted to have at least some of it read. Also, Saramago's writing is beautiful but requires concentration and I need a break from it sometimes.

An Open Heart. Practicing compassion in everyday life. The Dalai Lama.
Written by Nicholas Vreeland. Nick was the subject of the movie,
Monk with a camera, which lead me to this book. A great read. Ed

Currently "The Defense of the Realm" by Christopher Andrews. For a change of pace I just finished "Spandex, Screw Jobs and Cheap Pops" by Carrie Dunn. Next up for fun "The True History of the Black Adder" by J.F. Roberts along with "Diary of Bergen-Belsen" by Hanna Levy-Hass.

Transatlantic (Colum McCann).

I read Let the Great World Spin a few years ago and hadn't read anything else by him until this, I think because I loved that book so much I expected to be disappointed by anything else he did. I'm about two-thirds of the way through Transatlantic and the jury's still out on whether it's as good as the other, but it certainly is no disappointment.

books.jpg

I'm doing a little juggling at the moment: one in English, one in German and one with just pictures :icon_study:

Currently, nothing. :spank: Last time I read for pleasure was We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Fowler. Good read. I read a synopsis on either NPR or NYTimes, and thought it sounded good enough to give it a go. (I did see that one of the actors on Orange is the New Black was also 'reading' it in the show...)

Reading professionally, drawings and reports for various industries. I read and write reports pretty much all day every day, so reading for pleasure is getting harder and harder for me. :(

A re-read. The Fountainhead - by Ayn Rand.
dude, i thought she was so hot when she was younger. But the political baggage ya know..
o_O

Finished Cutting for Stone. It was very good. A bit slow at first and a few transitions that were a bit unpolished, but overall a really good read. I was about to go back to Saramago but then I got my copy of Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee, and everything needs to be dropped to read that!

Most reactions

Back