What are you reading?

I suspected it was this bad:
Data and Goliath
The Hidden Battles To Collect Your Data and Control Your World
by Bruce Schneider.

Chicken Soup for the Couple's Soul *sniff*

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

A strange and wonderful book, so far (about half-way)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

A strange and wonderful book, so far (about half-way)

That's been intriguing me for a while but haven't read it yet.

Just picked up The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. I'd had it on my shelf for about a year or so now, and then a few nights ago, I saw him interviewing Geddy Lee on some local NYC broadcasting and I knew it was time to start reading it. About 3-4 chapters in an totally hooked. Wonderful writing. Hardcover, small print, 650-ish thin pages so they're densely packed...it's the kind of book that is a PITA to carry around but that I love to just sink into, all curled up in a big comfy chair. :)

Wonderful thread for a book freak such as I.

I often have two to four books going at the same time but, right now, only two.

One is "The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts" by Louis de Bernières. Not that it matters much but he is british, in spite of his name. Anyway, to me, he belongs to what I call the sons of John Irving, recent writers who, like Irving make you laugh and cry all at the sale time. Wally Lamb is another one that you may be more familiar with.

Anyway, "The War" is a wonderfully crazy tale of everyday South America that includes revolution, the peasant daily life, the role of the USA in that region, the different races, and more and more. Beautiful book.

The second book is "Food First" by Frances Moore Lappé. I had read this book years ago (it came out in 77) and started reading it again because I work with a lot of organic farmers and slow food people. I don't know if anything better came out since, but this book is still very true today in a lot of ways. Scary!

Wonderful thread for a book freak such as I.

I often have two to four books going at the same time but, right now, only two.

One is "The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts" by Louis de Bernières. Not that it matters much but he is british, in spite of his name. Anyway, to me, he belongs to what I call the sons of John Irving, recent writers who, like Irving make you laugh and cry all at the sale time. Wally Lamb is another one that you may be more familiar with.

Anyway, "The War" is a wonderfully crazy tale of everyday South America that includes revolution, the peasant daily life, the role of the USA in that region, the different races, and more and more. Beautiful book.

The second book is "Food First" by Frances Moore Lappé. I had read this book years ago (it came out in 77) and started reading it again because I work with a lot of organic farmers and slow food people. I don't know if anything better came out since, but this book is still very true today in a lot of ways. Scary!

I can't read more than one book at a time. I mean, sometimes I can if one is a non-fiction book and the other is a quick read for my book club or something, but otherwise, I get so immersed in a book that I find I just can't split my loyalties.

I also unfortunately get a tad OCD about finishing a book, even if I don't like it. There have been times when a book was terrible but I just had to finish it, and upon doing so, I literally hurled it across the room.

Differences between people makes life interesting...

But to be honest, the books I read at the same time have to be of different types or I get lost.

What Is OCD?

Differences between people makes life interesting...

But to be honest, the books I read at the same time have to be of different types or I get lost.

What Is OCD?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It's the disorder that makes people need to, for example, wash their hands a bunch of times, or count things, or constantly check that the door is locked. I don't actually have it - or at least I think I don't! If I do, it's a super mild case that doesn't interfere with my functioning. But I do have a few little habits/routines that somewhat mimic typical OCD behaviors. I think they're generally called "quirks" though ;)

A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Oh, I really enjoyed the two books of his that I read.

Last edited:
Currently reading Scott Kelby's The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers (Covers Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC)

I just finished this: "Dumbing Us Down" by John Taylor Gatto

http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-...id=1440958598&sr=1-1&keywords=dumbing+us+down

This is a compilation of his own speeches/essays on his observation of the "Education System" in the US. Mr. Gatto is a 30-year, award-wining teacher in the New York public school system who has spoken to different groups all over the world.

His premise is that the education system in this country is NOT educating children, in spite of all the rhetoric and money that is thrown at the system in a presumed effort to "educate" children, but which in reality has been designed from the beginning to "school" the future citizens to be more malleable and compliant workers and tax payers.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back