What are you reading?

I just finished The Messenger because I had never read the last of the Giver series.

I'm waiting for my library to get the Width of the World in stock so i can borrow it. then I'll basically have read Clive Cussler, John Grisham, and David Baldacci's entire collections.

In the meantime, im just starting A Confederacy of Dunces.

I'm also waiting for Dangerous to ship from Amazon, but it sold out...

Last edited:
I just finished The Messenger because I've never never read the last of the Giver series.

I'm waiting for my library to get the Width of the World in stock so i can borrow it. then I'll basically have read Clive Cussler, John Grisham, and David Baldacci's entire collections.

In the meantime, im just starting A Confederacy of Dunces.

I'm also waiting for Dangerous to ship from Amazon, but it sold out...

Is Confederacy new for you or is this a re-read? I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely a book worth re-reading. In fact, it might be about time I do so! :)

Before that, though I have to finish My Antonia and then I am going to read a book a friend of mine just finished writing. I read the start of it last year at some point and got sucked in, so I'm really excited I get to finally finish reading it :)

nope, never read it. I wanted to read Unincorporated Man but my library doesnt have it.

I often use the inter-library loan system, which greatly broadens what is available.
i should say, fairfax county doesn't have it :(

Do they have a digital library. I have found that I can get what I am looking for there quicker. Perhaps that is because here you check out a digital copy and it gets returned on time whether you are finished or not. You can, if you pay attention get a 1 week extension, but most books are back in the two weeks time frame.

you act like I actually read; I'm all about audiobooks. My commute is about 1hr each way so it's a great use of the time.

the last book I actually read (last summer) was NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories‎

I'm all about audiobooks.
My wife has an audiobook going practically all the time. It's actually somewhat irritating to us both whenever I wish to communicate with her and she has to pause the book.

I like to listen, but the earpieces are a bother, so I seldom listen to an audiobook.

I've had these fights before :biggrin-93:

I can't really do audio books. I'm more of a visual/linguistic learner; I need to see words on the page to really absorb the information. I've tried from time to time to see if I could get used to it, but I just can't get into it. Plus, 9 times out of 10, the person reading the book annoys the hell out of me. ;)

Plus, 9 times out of 10, the person reading the book annoys the hell out of me.
YES!

My wife often selects books by who is reading them.

The only time I enjoy an audio book is when I am driving on a long trip in the car. For some silly reason the wife and other passengers get a bit irritated when I drive and read a book at the same time.

I too prefer printed words, I have however switched to mostly digital books these days. Easy to take with me where ever I go so if I am waiting in say a Doctors office I have the book with me. I prefer reading on the iPad but the iPhone works for such instances.

Have you ever read one of those books that you hoped would soon get better, but it never does?

Unfortunately, I have such a book. I was hoping to gain some insight that would enable me to overcome my lack of organizational skills, but I found no help.

"Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff" edited by Lori Baird. Rodale. I should have known; Rodale. I've owned several books published by Rodale, and have liked none of them. This is a collection of "helpful tips" collected by the editor over time. Some of the "tips" will not solve anything, and possibly create more clutter, or at least a cluttered look. Instead of thinning out one's junk, we now have various ways to stack, sack, display, or otherwise spend time sorting and stowing the stuff. Not recommended.

I attempted to read "The Tao of Money" by Ivan Hoffman. Prima Publishing. Lord knows I could use some help with money things, but to correctly understand this book, one is required to buy into the philosophy of the Tao. Not that I have anything against the Tao, but I just wanted to be able to understand/use/save/etc. money in a way that makes sense to me. If you are already interested in the Tao, then you might get something out of this book.

I am currently in the middle of "The Federalist Papers" by Hamilton, Madison, and Jay, edited by Clinton Rossiter. At a time when the residents of New York were being asked to ratify our new Constitution, there were influential politicians who were very much against such a vote. In an effort to convince New Yorkers that it would be in their own best interest to approve the new document, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay each wrote several letters to the editor to clarify what the Constitution included, what it did not, and how it would affect people's lives. By ratifying the new constitution, the then current Articles of Confederation would be nullified.

I was reading Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell and basically stopped. Probably a reason Orwell said never to publish it...

Started Down in Out in London and Paris instead on my flight to London last year and it was a much better read.

A few of the lastest Cussler and Baldacci books I've read, I could -- since I've read SO MANY of them -- predict the end, and that was no fun and I just wanted it to end and get over with it, since I already assumed what was going to happen. And typically I was correct.

Have you ever read one of those books that you hoped would soon get better, but it never does?

Unfortunately, I have such a book. I was hoping to gain some insight that would enable me to overcome my lack of organizational skills, but I found no help.

"Cut the Clutter and Stow the Stuff" edited by Lori Baird. Rodale. I should have known; Rodale. I've owned several books published by Rodale, and have liked none of them. This is a collection of "helpful tips" collected by the editor over time. Some of the "tips" will not solve anything, and possibly create more clutter, or at least a cluttered look. Instead of thinning out one's junk, we now have various ways to stack, sack, display, or otherwise spend time sorting and stowing the stuff. Not recommended.

I attempted to read "The Tao of Money" by Ivan Hoffman. Prima Publishing. Lord knows I could use some help with money things, but to correctly understand this book, one is required to buy into the philosophy of the Tao. Not that I have anything against the Tao, but I just wanted to be able to understand/use/save/etc. money in a way that makes sense to me. If you are already interested in the Tao, then you might get something out of this book.

I am currently in the middle of "The Federalist Papers" by Hamilton, Madison, and Jay, edited by Clinton Rossiter. At a time when the residents of New York were being asked to ratify our new Constitution, there were influential politicians who were very much against such a vote. In an effort to convince New Yorkers that it would be in their own best interest to approve the new document, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay each wrote several letters to the editor to clarify what the Constitution included, what it did not, and how it would affect people's lives. By ratifying the new constitution, the then current Articles of Confederation would be nullified.

Yes, and the most frustrating part for me is that if I start a book, I have to finish it, no matter if it never gets better.

I am reminded of the quote by Dorothy Parker: "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." I have quite literally done exactly this a few times in my life out of disgust for both the book and my inability to leave it unfinished.

As for books to help with organization, have you heard of Marie Kondo? Her books are a bit hokey, but people rave about them. I got this one: Marie Kondo - The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Hardcover and though I haven't finished reading the book or executing her advice, I have found it more useful so far than any other organizational advice that I've read.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back