What are you reading?

I like audio books a lot but the frustrating thing for me is that I fall asleep while listening and it's impossible to figure out exactly where I dropped off. I would not listen to them while driving! I do like them for flying and for the beach since I can leave my reading glasses home.

My mom has become a huge fan of Kindle. She continues to talk to me about how convenient it is, and has gone far enough to actually give away most of her books.

I really can't envision doing that; I love holding books. Right now, I'm trying to walk the line between nodding and being agreeable while she raves about Kindle, and making sure she knows to never waste money on one for me at Christmastime. :lol:

Terri once you go Kindle you won't go back ;)

Seriously I like books too, but sometimes a kindle is better. You can have a built in on the new ones which makes reading at night effortless - no more having to get out of bed to turn off the lights; no more dim table light that never quite puts the light in the right place. You can change text size (great for those who otherwise have to wear glasses); its a lot lot lighter than some books (1000 page novels are great fun but feel like they'll fall apart half way through and strain the fingers).

Plus the biggest thing - flicking the wi-fi on to buy the next book in the series and starting reading it all within 3 mins or so.

It's also great on holiday, now you can take as many books as you want without having to bother with how to fit them into the bag.

IT will never replace print, but darn it I do like Kindle - e ink is great stuff!

I use iBooks instead of Kindle but I agree. It is so simple to take books with you and read them in any environment in comfort. You can keep them as long as you like, make notes in them, change notes in them, highlight and un-highlight.

Plus your reading can be quite cheap if you use something like Bookbub. They have daily deals on books in what ever categories or authors you select. You get a daily e-mail with books that fit your categories that range in price from free to a couple of dollars from sellers like Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble. etc. The deals are usually only for 24 -48 hours but you can get a lot of good reading material for a very cheap price.

I like audio books a lot but the frustrating thing for me is that I fall asleep while listening and it's impossible to figure out exactly where I dropped off. I would not listen to them while driving! I do like them for flying and for the beach since I can leave my reading glasses home.
When the kids were little I would put in a Hank the Cowdog audio book for them. They loved Hank the Cowdog, it kept them entertained and even better it kept them quiet. Made traveling soooooooooooooo much easier.

It's also great on holiday, now you can take as many books as you want without having to bother with how to fit them into the bag.

That was the biggest sell for her particular set of circumstances. She would close up her house and take long trips, be away from home for months at a time. Obviously the Kindle was terrific for her. Can't deny that it has its place.

I'm just not there. I like having bookcases overflowing with books. It makes me happy to look at them, like having close friends nearby. :586:

That was the biggest sell for her particular set of circumstances. She would close up her house and take long trips, be away from home for months at a time. Obviously the Kindle was terrific for her. Can't deny that it has its place.

I'm just not there. I like having bookcases overflowing with books. It makes me happy to look at them, like having close friends nearby. :586:

So much this!

Finished Eichmann Before Jerusalem. Good read, but not a great read. Most of the information has already been published. For a change of pace I've started Science Secrets,The Truth about Darwin’s Finches, Einstein’s Wife, and Other Myths by Alberto Martínez.

Finished Science Secrets,The Truth about Darwin’s Finches, Einstein’s Wife, and Other Myths. An interesting book if you are one that likes sifting through myths and how those myths came about. Now I'm reading The Miracle of Dunkirk by Walter Lord.

I picked up some $5 specials at the Alexandria (VA) library a while back: one on maps, a couple on art (figure drawing and floral painting) and one monster called "The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding" by Robert Hughes. I just started the last one.

That is great. It's always great to find books you enjoy at a good price. I used to go to the Library's sales.

I don't do much with printed books any longer. Expensive and I just don't have a place for them. That is why I like Bookbub so much. I find lots of great books for under $3.00 and the iPad has plenty of storage space.

I grabbed a bunch of free kindle books a few weeks ago. Most are public domain from late 1800s - various subjects.

I grabbed a bunch of free kindle books a few weeks ago. Most are public domain from late 1800s - various subjects.
I did the same when I first got my Kindle. Lot of classics are in the free domain now.

I finished Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full last night. The character development was pretty good, but I thought the ending was kind of cheap. After reading 750 pages, I expected something better. It was the first book I've read by him, but I've heard some of his others are better. Even so, I think I'll wait a little bit before buying another from him.

Next up? I have some choices. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur, Creative Schools: The Grass Roots Revolution by Robinson and Aronica, or Guests of the Sheik by Elizabeth Warnock Fernea. I also want to read a book called Hillbilly Elegy, but it's $16 and I should probably read the books I've already bought first.

Most reactions

Back