What are you reading?

The Genius of Birds - Jennifer Ackerman
New York Times Bestseller
14 day loan from Bridges.Overdrive.com

On Deck:
Nonsense on Stilts - Massimo Pigliucci
How To Tell Science From Bunk!
14 day loan from Bridges.Overdrive.com

@terri, I finished the book (Dark Matter by Blake Crouch). I’ll rate it a 5/5 (more like 4.5, but I’ll round up). It kept my attention and made me want to finish it. If you like science fiction and thrillers, you’ll enjoy the book. I’m betting that those who “live and breathe” books will likely rate this anywhere between 3 and 4 stars generally (more on this below). I really enjoyed the sci-fi part of it, so that probably had some influence on my overall score. :p

The book definitely had some ups and downs, but overall it seemed well thought out. I enjoyed the writing.

While it was good, it was pretty easy to figure out. Even down to certain ideas—even the one thing that was considered “random”. And… this isn’t a “new” story, something you’ve probably read and seen in movies many times. But, I enjoyed the author’s take on it, which involved quantum physics. Who doesn’t want to read about quantum physics?

While it kept my attention, one thing that kinda detracted from the book was that it felt like it was written specifically to be a movie. As I was reading it, I could imagine the scenes in my head, how a movie script might change certain scenes, and how the plot might be revised slightly to fit the big screen. I felt like it ignored little details that would typically be explained in a book but were not included specifically because it was written like a movie. I even thought about how the beginning of the book was like a cold open.

It was a great rework of an old story, and I enjoyed the science and physics part of it.

Overall, it could have been excellent, but it was still very good. I would recommend it for sci-fi/thriller fans.

Do LOVE me some WEB Griffin.
1528386918513.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill

Just finished Unmaking a Murderer: The Framing of Steven Avery by Shaun Attwood. Attwood is English and is a convicted felon in the United States (who is never allowed to return). He wrote a bunch of books about his experiences with addiction and running an ecstasy ring in Arizona, and his ensuing experience with Sheriff Joe and the Arizona jails and prisons. It was pretty interesting stuff.

This book is talking about the science and social science behind how prosecutors get convictions, and it includes lots of transcript from trials, jury interviews, interrogations, etc. It lists 10 different ways that information can be manipulated and how the system is heavily tilted in the favor of the government. He definitely exhibits some bias, but it was an interesting read, and it definitely sheds light on how at least some innocent people can be convicted of crimes. (For those who watched the series...it goes much further in depth into the case and the players behind the conviction, if you're interested in it.)

It's also amazing how someone who lives outside of London is able to research and write a book about a county in Wisconsin while never visiting.

PS...for those of you who Kindle, this is part of Kindle Unlimited. I read it for free (well...you know what I mean).

I Live for This: Baseball's Last True Believer

Biography on Tommy Lasorda. What a good read but you have to love baseball.

Round-up of recent, used books:

George Gurdjieff - Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson;
In Search of The Miraculous - P.D Ouspensky;
Architecture : Sculpture - Werner Sewing;
Zen and The Art of Archery - Eugen Herrigel;
Impro for Storytellers - Keith Johnstone.

Last edited:
Father Fuji's, Father. What a great read, 2nd time around.

20180620_171613-01.jpeg

11.22.63 by Stephen King

Most reactions

Back