What are you reading?

nope. but i have been watching Laverne and Shirley from season 1. rofl.

I'm now reading Thackeray Vanity Fair. By the way, recently released a series on this book. But I want to read the book first, then watch the show.

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan
Meh, it was alright. I think I’d rate it 2 stars.

Now currently reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

That was a good book! It was confusing at first because of double names for some of the characters.

That was a good book! It was confusing at first because of double names for some of the characters.
I’m really liking it so far. Yeah, I know what you mean with the double names!

Loved the book. Was a bit surprised when the movie came out and the previews sold it more as a thriller than a drama.

Oooh, I've got this in my Kindle queue. No spoilers!

Right now I'm reading Sacrifice by Carol Arnold. It's #3 in the detective Madison Knight series. Read some of her other works and they were OK, but this series is really good.

No spoilers!
Lips are sealed!

A1F9A80F-203D-4240-8295-09AF51793916.png

LA Times:
"USC's Roberts fought racism in heart of Texas"

A very interesting read, front page (not in the Sports Section). In 1956 the University of Southern California brought an integrated football squad to play the Longhorns in Austin. Back then it was against Texas law, for SC's running back Roberts and the other black players, to play against white folk. Earlier in the season, the coaching staff suggested to Roberts that maybe he shouldn't play in Texas (literally fearing for Roberts' life). Roberts replied that he'd rather quit the team than not go to Texas. Texas officials suggested the black members of the squad stay with east side families due to Jim Crow laws mandating segregated hotels. Roberts' teammates said they wouldn't go if the team couldn't be housed as a team.

There was a happy ending, CR Roberts ran for three touchdowns and 251 yards. The Trojans defeated Texas. In the first quarter the stands voiced chants of "Kill the N****" ... the game ended with many spectators giving Roberts a standing ovation.

A very interesting story. Today, USC plays Texas again in Austin.

Loved the book. Was a bit surprised when the movie came out and the previews sold it more as a thriller than a drama.
Just finished it, and I'll echo the comments on it being a good book and me loving it. I'd say 5 stars.

Quick possible spoiler, but just wanted to comment on something:
Was it just me, or did anyone else find it weird that everyone slept with everyone? I pity all their lives.

Then, as a surprise, the wife rented the movie, and we watched it yesterday. It was good, and had I not read the book, I think I would have liked the movie quite well. Definitely a little different, and they tried to capture the back and forth timeline of the book. They also tried to jam in all the important things from the book, so they did a good job with that. I wasn't exactly a fan of some of the things they changed (but I'm guessing they had to do it to make it fit within a movie), but at least they kept most of the major things.

I personally would have loved to see this as a made-for-TV movie in 3 parts. They could have really gotten into the details and did a lot with it from that perspective.

Leafing through two Anthony Bourdain cookbooks, Appetites: A Cookbook and Les Halles Cookbook.

Each recipe has an introduction which makes one feels as if Bourdain is there right next to you in a discussion of food.

Last edited:

Just finished it, and I'll echo the comments on it being a good book and me loving it. I'd say 5 stars.

Quick possible spoiler, but just wanted to comment on something:
Was it just me, or did anyone else find it weird that everyone slept with everyone? I pity all their lives.

Then, as a surprise, the wife rented the movie, and we watched it yesterday. It was good, and had I not read the book, I think I would have liked the movie quite well. Definitely a little different, and they tried to capture the back and forth timeline of the book. They also tried to jam in all the important things from the book, so they did a good job with that. I wasn't exactly a fan of some of the things they changed (but I'm guessing they had to do it to make it fit within a movie), but at least they kept most of the major things.

I personally would have loved to see this as a made-for-TV movie in 3 parts. They could have really gotten into the details and did a lot with it from that perspective.

I saw the movie too and thought there was a good attempt at the angst. My friend watched it with me who did not read the book and was totally confused. I had to fill her in as the movie went along.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back