What are you walking around with?

i understand your confusion. i only listed zooms because the bulk of the replies so far were from users who are using zooms as a primary walkaround. i was also pricing sigma and canon superwides but i just don't really know for sure what would serve me best which is precisely why i value your opinion.

Well, you could probably pick up a used kit lens for around $75 which would get you the wide end and then get the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro for around $220. This would get you a really broad range with decent quality (better than decent when stopped down), for just under $300. If you get the Sigma 70-300, make sure it's the APO version as the APO version is quite a bit sharper than the non-APO one.

The UWA lenses are so much fun. I borrowed one from a friend and I loved using it for portrait work. You can get some great angles and using the distortion as an artistic effect is fun.

Down side is they don't make them cheap and when I get my 5D, they'll be useless for the most part.

Slightly off topic here, but after seeing some of your landscapes BobblyBill, I'm gonna put my 70-300 away and use the 18-55 to try and better my landscape photography. Amazing stuff in your gallery.

Thank you NateS. I wasn't expecting that.

These days, I usually use my Canonet for walkaround duty, which has a fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens, but since you're asking dslr... I like my 24mm f/2.8D on my D70 (as seen in my avatar pic). It's close to a 35mm equivalent on the cropped sensor. I'd say it's on my camera more than any other lens.

Unfortunately, it's slow and soft on the close end, iirc. The 70-200 f/2.8 would be better.

OP - If you can save the cash, look at a used Sigma 10-20mm UWA. I think about $500 used is the going rate, but it's a great lens.

Picked up mine new for 450
Check ebay

90% of the time my D40 and the 17-55DX f/2.8. LOL, odd combo, but it works great for me. Forget expensive bodies, it's all about the glass. I'm probably going to sell my D80 and just stick with the D40. Seriously.

I rarely take my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 off my 10d when im not sure what i will be shooting.

I believe you can get them used for $300 maybe less. Its pretty sharp, and the build quality is better than most of the cheap canon zooms, plus its a fast lens and works well in low light. Its my 2nd lens of that range and I probably will never not own a 24-70 f2.8 of some flavor.

Ive used my 70-200 as a walk around in Chicago, I was unable to take alot of the shots I wanted of buildings and what not because its just not wide enough.

You can see examples on my flickr, just click the Chicago Set.

I use a 17-40 as a walk-around.

Not sure why you think you are not ready for good glass? Good equipment not going to make you a better photographer, but it sure doesn't hinder your learning either.

If you can afford it, I would say go for best glass so you do not waste money buying something you know you will sell in couple years when you think are ready for 'L'.

My skills suck, but at least I know it's me and not my equipment :)

35mm f/2 here, but that's only because that's the only lens I have right now.

What is your current prosumer camera?

i've pretty much been a sony man using the dsc-h2,h5, & h9.

anyway, i appreciate all of the replies but i must admit i am overwhelmed by all of the possibilities. i have been reading lens reviews for over a week now and i'm not really any closer to making a decision. i have already decided my next lens will probably be an 85mm 1.8 (which i need for a specific purpose) but i think that's far too narrow for an everyday lens. if anyone here owns an 85mm prime i'd love to hear your comments on them. i am eyeing the sigma 10-20mm for everyday use though. the reviews aren't bad at all and its probably the widest lens that i can afford coming in at under $500. there are no L series lenses in my immediate future so i have to "window" shop realistically hence the tedious process of reading reviews. feel free to continue chiming in with advice/suggestions. thanks.

Becuase of the L lens comment, I'll assume a Cannon 40D or 5D. Anything else is not prosumer class at Cannon. Nikons would be D200, D300 or D3.

Be careful about ultra wide angle lenses (10-20mm)... the distortion is incredible and takes a lot to correct in PP. Maybe something more along the lines of a 18-50 or 17-70 is what you ar needing for architecture.

I 2nd teh tamron 28-75.. thats currently my walk around...

While i save for my 17-55 2.8 nikkor

Becuase of the L lens comment, I'll assume a Cannon 40D or 5D. Anything else is not prosumer class at Cannon. Nikons would be D200, D300 or D3.

Be careful about ultra wide angle lenses (10-20mm)... the distortion is incredible and takes a lot to correct in PP. Maybe something more along the lines of a 18-50 or 17-70 is what you ar needing for architecture.

re: the term prosumer. i intentionally placed that in quotes because thats how they have been referred to in press not so much because thats what i feel they are.

i do have my mediocre kit 18-55 but there have been times when i've wanted to go wider and couldn't. i basically wanted something to compliment that on the wide end. with the crop factor would you forsee distortion still being an issue with a 10-20 or comparable focal range?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back