What are you watching on TV right now?

All the comments on Queen's Gambit I'll have to check out. We binged watched a bunch of series last spring and one has a new season, Virgin River. Watched 2 movies and both very good. Hillbilly Elegy & Uncle Frank. One was on Amazon and the other on Netflix forgot which ones.

All the comments on Queen's Gambit I'll have to check out. We binged watched a bunch of series last spring and one has a new season, Virgin River. Watched 2 movies and both very good. Hillbilly Elegy & Uncle Frank. One was on Amazon and the other on Netflix forgot which ones.

Is Virgin River about a nurse? If so I saw that and enjoyed it. Watched Uncle Frank and it was really good. I’ll watch anything set in the 70’s or 80’s for the nostalgia.

On The Umbrella Academy, you have me intrigued. I need to look this up.

On House:
If they have House end with all of this being a delusion in his mind from a drugged-up mental state or from him being in the induced coma for his leg, I’ll be quite mad. I’ll start writing fan fiction, LOL.

I never thought about the writers being “consistent” with Cuddy going all in and then retreating just as fast. I agree, I think the relapse should have been the beginning of the end for the relationship, not an abrupt ending. Cuddy, as both one of House’s closest friends and a doctor, should have known that ending the relationship so quickly, after he had just taken more Vicodin, and in the manner that she did would have led to him going down a hole of drugs.

(All this said, I don’t mean to blame her completely, because she is definitely a victim of House. She can get out of relationships if she wants, but she actively chose to go into a relationship knowing that he was an addict and then got mad at that. I’m conflicted with how I feel.)

Also, the whole 18 months in jail for ramming a car into a house. I know he said he “took the first deal” that came along, but this is House we’re talking about. The Sherlock Holmes of doctors. He’s smarter than that, so I call bull.

I totally agree, I liked House before (even though he was a jerk), but now I don’t really have any feelings toward him. He used to have some moments in all the assholiness where he was a decent person. I feel like that’s not really there anymore, and you’re spot on, he regressed right back to where he was. I get that people may do that, but it was still frustrating because it felt forced.

I think I’m still sour over the whole ending it with Cuddy. I just remember in one of the episodes.. there was a visually and emotionally appealing scene where House was in Cuddy’s office, late in the day, everyone left, and they were discussing work. Cuddy at her desk, House laying back in the chair, camera was far away looking in on this moment. It just felt real and natural. I felt like it was worthy of a series-ending scene.

The House/Wilson dynamic is interesting. I do like them together.

If I had my own show, I’d want to end it as a fairly normal episode, maybe a bit emotional. I’d want the audience to know the show ended, but I would make it like any other episode.

I’m assuming House will not end like that, LOL.

I just checked and second season of The Umbrella Academy was just released in July of this year. It was renewed for a 3rd season this month, which means it won't be released for a while. This is why I tend to watch shows after they're already done! And once I'm hooked on a show, I can't pace myself, so I'm sure I'm going to be done with both seasons in the next week. The episodes are longer, but there's only 10 episodes in a season.

Anyway.

Yes, Cuddy absolutely has the right to decide when enough is enough, and she did say at the beginning that she basically just had to know if it was something that would work or not. So his relapse could have been the moment when she realized it was not going to work. They had been attracted to each other since they first met in med school and have been dancing around it ever since, so it seemed like she decided she couldn't really move on with someone else until she'd given it a try with House. She totally knew all of his issues and his addiction, but decided to go ahead anyway. But what I don't like about the abrupt nature of both the start and finish of the relationship is that sure, the two events were consistent with each other, but they were inconsistent with the rest of her character. She wasn't particularly impulsive. She was methodical and thoughtful about her decisions. Of course some people are that way with career but are messier with their personal lives, but it still seemed like the writers were sacrificing character development for drama, and I don't like when that happens.

I liked their "normal" moments, too and still a bit salty about how they ended. But 'normal' apparently doesn't do well in the ratings. :/

As for the finale, all I will say is that a) it is not a delusion (though we do still get some hallucination scenes), and b) it's just a normal episode. I'm conflicted. We'll talk when you get there :)

Overall, I enjoyed the show very much, even if it did become a bit too formulaic with the cases (it's totally X disease! Nope, it's not. Cue controversial test/diagnoses/breaking and entering. Oh, it's totally disease Y! Nope, not that either. Cue ball tossing/staring at wall/eating lunch with coma guy. Dramatic finish! Puzzle solved! Patient is alive! Or sometimes dead!). But I do feel it overstayed its welcome, and I would have preferred a slow, steady character evolution for him rather than the roller coaster for the sake of gratuitous drama. All of the characters were sort of complex, but they could have been so much more interesting if the writers paid more attention to them.
I agree about Cuddy being so rash and quick to jump in and jump out of a relationship. Anyways, enough of her, since she’s out of the picture now, thanks to contracts.

Your show formula is spot on. I actually don’t mind shows like that, as long as they occasionally change it up. Like, the one episode that was (I think?) about Wilson where they had really funny background scenes of House’s team scrambling around, on top of patients trying to keep them alive, or running through the halls, was really good.

With regards to my feelings on Season 7 and 8, I think they generally stand. I would have been more than happy to have Season 6 be the last, BUT I did enjoy the latter half of Season 8. I completely agree that the show should have paid more attention to the other characters, as well. They seemed to have a show every now and then that fully focused on a single character, but I guess I’m not necessarily a huge fan of that process. I’d rather see their background come out gradually and slowly. For example, I felt like we learned so much about Masters when they had an episode focus solely on her character, which was also the LAST EPISODE TO FEATURE HER as a doctor under House. Why would they do that? Perhaps she would have been a better asset throughout her time on the show had they released this information slowly from the beginning. I mean, they did some, but I felt like Masters could have been a really good replacement for Cameron, but they got rid of her and brought in Adams. Meh.

I still think Park was out of place (although I was happy to see her evolve), and I don’t think they did Adams justice—I kind of think they just wanted to replace Cameron and Masters and chose some bland version with no heart.

I did warm up to Foreman as head of the hospital, but I think they should have involved him a bit more in the cases, like they did with Cuddy. He took on so much responsibility for House during the parole, but then took a back seat during DDX and treatment? I would have expected him to be on top of House as much as Cuddy was... except... not in that way...

Chase... I actually think I liked him the best, because he showed the most character development. I think they did that on purpose though, because I think they delved the most into his character and background than any other. I LOVED Kutner, but they shouldn’t have done what they did. It didn’t make sense, and really rocked the whole show. Taub was hilarious, and I really like him. Loved Thirteen’s character, as well—happy with where they ended it. Cameron was good, but I wish they would have evolved her a little differently.

I really liked Amber’s role on the show, as well as Masters. I did not like Terzi at all, glad she left the show, not sure of her purpose, other than to help other characters’ arcs. Her character didn’t make sense to me, although I get that it made sense to the show.

Regarding House’s character development... The whole stuffing the season tickets down the drain... that made me roll my eyes so hard I almost strained them. I guess I don’t understand the plumbing in the building, since various places had issues but then ALL of the tickets were found together with his fingerprints on them and they were legible with his name? Aside from the plumbing, flushing tickets down the drain was not very “House”. Finding someone that Foreman despised and giving the tickets to that person (so they’d have to sit next to each other every game) would have been. Or, finding a way to keep Wilson alive past the 5 month mark and then convincing Foreman to give them to Wilson. I don’t know. Anything other than “flushing them” and then giving the “remains” to the police. Seemed like a cheap and lazy way to end it and to get House back to jail. (Also, the whole jail/parole looming over his head was drawn out way too long. It should have ended when he took the ankle monitor off.)

And don’t get me started on how Dominika went from getting her green card to citizenship; those are two different processes, but I guess being married to an immigration attorney probably made me more sensitive to this, haha. I liked their relationship, and was thoroughly annoyed when House threw out her papers notifying her of the oath. But, I understand it goes back to his self-destructive ways, and that it shows that House couldn’t change (which was inline with his own thoughts on people in general). Still, would have been nice to see him change and evolve.

Regarding the last couple of episodes (and the last episode), I actually enjoyed them. I felt like they really started to get back into their groove. I liked the last episode, hallucinations and all. Seeing Kutner was great. Probably spent a little more time going back and forth than I would have liked, but I did enjoy it. I also enjoyed seeing the “where is everybody now” at the end.

My wife and I both knew that he wasn’t going to die. We had talked about how we thought it was going to end, and just knew that he (1) wasn’t going back to jail and (2) wasn’t going to die. Loved his text to Wilson at the funeral (totally read it in House’s voice), and just like House to actually be in attendance at his own funeral. I liked the ending with House and Wilson driving off into the distance on their motorcycles. Definitely made me tear up.

I agree about the various team members. Terzi was a miss. I liked Chase and was glad they kept him and Taub. Foreman was interesting - he was like House Lite but without the charm, the wit, and the self-destructive tendencies. I remember one episode in which they both denied how similar they are to each other and that ended with them both in the elevator realizing they were wearing the same shoes. I wasn't crazy about Adams - the brunette that was the prison doc and then joined at the end. I think the character was interesting, but not convinced that the casting was right. I never quite bought it from her. And yeah, Charlyne Yi was very entertaining, and her character was sort of weird enough to fit into House's teams of misfits, but something never felt quite right. I think that was one of the biggest flaws of the last season - the chemistry between the actors never clicked they way they did in earlier episodes.

As for the finale - I do like how it ended but like you, I rolled eyes *hard* at how they got there. The tickets down the toilet? Wow, they were really stretching there. House was childish but he was more imaginative than that. I understand they were trying to put his back up against the wall to make him realize that he couldn't just regress into his old ways and to force a choice out of him, but there were better ways to do that. It's one of my pet peeves - when writers ignore plausibility and consistency (either in a character's behavior or laws or physics...) for the sake of advancing the plot that they already want to happen. Yes, faking his own death to be with Wilson in his last months was a good ending. But if they couldn't get there organically without forcing the issue, then maybe they should have gone with a different ending. The season had its moments, to be sure, but it always felt to me like it was pushing a little too hard.

The last few scenes, though, were great - the funeral, the little vignette when you realize that Forman figured it all out, the bikes. I had a gazillion questions about what would happen after they ride off on their bikes. Does he go off Vicodin? Does Wilson somehow keep writing scrips, and if so, isn't that a tip off that he's writing them for House since he can't write them for himself? After Wilson dies, does House stay "dead"? I like to imagine him take on a whole new identity and become a lounge piano player or something :laughing: It's not like he could ever practice medicine again, even if he did turn himself in to complete his sentence and probably serve his new one (I imagine there would be new charges of some sort.)
I remember that episode about House and Foreman and the shoes, LOL! That was funny. Foreman was a mini house, and then they had that whole storyline of Foreman going elsewhere only to act like House, get fired, and then have to go back to work for House again. Very interesting.

I wasn’t crazy about Adams, either. I liked her in the prison, but it kind of felt like she never fully embraced the character—whether by her fault or whether she was told to turn it down. At the beginning, I felt like she was going to be a really good character, but then it just fizzled.

You’re spot on, the chemistry of the characters did not work at all. The original three were great, and I liked the second set, as well (which includes Kutner, Thirteen, Taub, Chase, and Foreman). Keeping Chase was their only saving grace when Park and Adams were in the picture.

I LOVED IT when Foreman figured it out. That was great. It was a combination of I can’t believe, what the actual F, and that’s House. Ha, a lounge piano player would make sense. I also had so many questions! Like, what happened with all of their money? Seriously, they must have made bank. They were department heads at a hospital—that’s probably what, like several hundred thousand dollars a year? House and Wilson both lived like bachelor’s, so they must have had savings... House wouldn’t have been able to tap into that after he “died”, unless he “took care of it” beforehand, which knowing House, he would have done. Same with Wilson.

Agree, I don’t think he’d ever be able to work again as a doctor, unless he tried the whole hire a doctor online thing that Kutner tried. Hahaha.

On House:
If they have House end with all of this being a delusion in his mind from a drugged-up mental state or from him being in the induced coma for his leg, I’ll be quite mad. I’ll start writing fan fiction, LOL.

I never thought about the writers being “consistent” with Cuddy going all in and then retreating just as fast. I agree, I think the relapse should have been the beginning of the end for the relationship, not an abrupt ending. Cuddy, as both one of House’s closest friends and a doctor, should have known that ending the relationship so quickly, after he had just taken more Vicodin, and in the manner that she did would have led to him going down a hole of drugs.

(All this said, I don’t mean to blame her completely, because she is definitely a victim of House. She can get out of relationships if she wants, but she actively chose to go into a relationship knowing that he was an addict and then got mad at that. I’m conflicted with how I feel.)

Also, the whole 18 months in jail for ramming a car into a house. I know he said he “took the first deal” that came along, but this is House we’re talking about. The Sherlock Holmes of doctors. He’s smarter than that, so I call bull.

I totally agree, I liked House before (even though he was a jerk), but now I don’t really have any feelings toward him. He used to have some moments in all the assholiness where he was a decent person. I feel like that’s not really there anymore, and you’re spot on, he regressed right back to where he was. I get that people may do that, but it was still frustrating because it felt forced.

I think I’m still sour over the whole ending it with Cuddy. I just remember in one of the episodes.. there was a visually and emotionally appealing scene where House was in Cuddy’s office, late in the day, everyone left, and they were discussing work. Cuddy at her desk, House laying back in the chair, camera was far away looking in on this moment. It just felt real and natural. I felt like it was worthy of a series-ending scene.

If I had my own show, I’d want to end it as a fairly normal episode, maybe a bit emotional. I’d want the audience to know the show ended, but I would make it like any other episode.

I just checked and second season of The Umbrella Academy was just released in July of this year. It was renewed for a 3rd season this month, which means it won't be released for a while. This is why I tend to watch shows after they're already done! And once I'm hooked on a show, I can't pace myself, so I'm sure I'm going to be done with both seasons in the next week. The episodes are longer, but there's only 10 episodes in a season.

Anyway.

Yes, Cuddy absolutely has the right to decide when enough is enough, and she did say at the beginning that she basically just had to know if it was something that would work or not. So his relapse could have been the moment when she realized it was not going to work. They had been attracted to each other since they first met in med school and have been dancing around it ever since, so it seemed like she decided she couldn't really move on with someone else until she'd given it a try with House. She totally knew all of his issues and his addiction, but decided to go ahead anyway. But what I don't like about the abrupt nature of both the start and finish of the relationship is that sure, the two events were consistent with each other, but they were inconsistent with the rest of her character. She wasn't particularly impulsive. She was methodical and thoughtful about her decisions. Of course some people are that way with career but are messier with their personal lives, but it still seemed like the writers were sacrificing character development for drama, and I don't like when that happens.

I liked their "normal" moments, too and still a bit salty about how they ended. But 'normal' apparently doesn't do well in the ratings. :/

As for the finale, all I will say is that a) it is not a delusion (though we do still get some hallucination scenes), and b) it's just a normal episode. I'm conflicted. We'll talk when you get there :)

Overall, I enjoyed the show very much, even if it did become a bit too formulaic with the cases (it's totally X disease! Nope, it's not. Cue controversial test/diagnoses/breaking and entering. Oh, it's totally disease Y! Nope, not that either. Cue ball tossing/staring at wall/eating lunch with coma guy. Dramatic finish! Puzzle solved! Patient is alive! Or sometimes dead!). But I do feel it overstayed its welcome, and I would have preferred a slow, steady character evolution for him rather than the roller coaster for the sake of gratuitous drama. All of the characters were sort of complex, but they could have been so much more interesting if the writers paid more attention to them.
I agree about Cuddy being so rash and quick to jump in and jump out of a relationship. Anyways, enough of her, since she’s out of the picture now, thanks to contracts.

Your show formula is spot on. I actually don’t mind shows like that, as long as they occasionally change it up. Like, the one episode that was (I think?) about Wilson where they had really funny background scenes of House’s team scrambling around, on top of patients trying to keep them alive, or running through the halls, was really good.

With regards to my feelings on Season 7 and 8, I think they generally stand. I would have been more than happy to have Season 6 be the last, BUT I did enjoy the latter half of Season 8. I completely agree that the show should have paid more attention to the other characters, as well. They seemed to have a show every now and then that fully focused on a single character, but I guess I’m not necessarily a huge fan of that process. I’d rather see their background come out gradually and slowly. For example, I felt like we learned so much about Masters when they had an episode focus solely on her character, which was also the LAST EPISODE TO FEATURE HER as a doctor under House. Why would they do that? Perhaps she would have been a better asset throughout her time on the show had they released this information slowly from the beginning. I mean, they did some, but I felt like Masters could have been a really good replacement for Cameron, but they got rid of her and brought in Adams. Meh.

I still think Park was out of place (although I was happy to see her evolve), and I don’t think they did Adams justice—I kind of think they just wanted to replace Cameron and Masters and chose some bland version with no heart.

I did warm up to Foreman as head of the hospital, but I think they should have involved him a bit more in the cases, like they did with Cuddy. He took on so much responsibility for House during the parole, but then took a back seat during DDX and treatment? I would have expected him to be on top of House as much as Cuddy was... except... not in that way...

Chase... I actually think I liked him the best, because he showed the most character development. I think they did that on purpose though, because I think they delved the most into his character and background than any other. I LOVED Kutner, but they shouldn’t have done what they did. It didn’t make sense, and really rocked the whole show. Taub was hilarious, and I really like him. Loved Thirteen’s character, as well—happy with where they ended it. Cameron was good, but I wish they would have evolved her a little differently.

I really liked Amber’s role on the show, as well as Masters. I did not like Terzi at all, glad she left the show, not sure of her purpose, other than to help other characters’ arcs. Her character didn’t make sense to me, although I get that it made sense to the show.

Regarding House’s character development... The whole stuffing the season tickets down the drain... that made me roll my eyes so hard I almost strained them. I guess I don’t understand the plumbing in the building, since various places had issues but then ALL of the tickets were found together with his fingerprints on them and they were legible with his name? Aside from the plumbing, flushing tickets down the drain was not very “House”. Finding someone that Foreman despised and giving the tickets to that person (so they’d have to sit next to each other every game) would have been. Or, finding a way to keep Wilson alive past the 5 month mark and then convincing Foreman to give them to Wilson. I don’t know. Anything other than “flushing them” and then giving the “remains” to the police. Seemed like a cheap and lazy way to end it and to get House back to jail. (Also, the whole jail/parole looming over his head was drawn out way too long. It should have ended when he took the ankle monitor off.)

And don’t get me started on how Dominika went from getting her green card to citizenship; those are two different processes, but I guess being married to an immigration attorney probably made me more sensitive to this, haha. I liked their relationship, and was thoroughly annoyed when House threw out her papers notifying her of the oath. But, I understand it goes back to his self-destructive ways, and that it shows that House couldn’t change (which was inline with his own thoughts on people in general). Still, would have been nice to see him change and evolve.

Regarding the last couple of episodes (and the last episode), I actually enjoyed them. I felt like they really started to get back into their groove. I liked the last episode, hallucinations and all. Seeing Kutner was great. Probably spent a little more time going back and forth than I would have liked, but I did enjoy it. I also enjoyed seeing the “where is everybody now” at the end.

My wife and I both knew that he wasn’t going to die. We had talked about how we thought it was going to end, and just knew that he (1) wasn’t going back to jail and (2) wasn’t going to die. Loved his text to Wilson at the funeral (totally read it in House’s voice), and just like House to actually be in attendance at his own funeral. I liked the ending with House and Wilson driving off into the distance on their motorcycles. Definitely made me tear up.

I agree about the various team members. Terzi was a miss. I liked Chase and was glad they kept him and Taub. Foreman was interesting - he was like House Lite but without the charm, the wit, and the self-destructive tendencies. I remember one episode in which they both denied how similar they are to each other and that ended with them both in the elevator realizing they were wearing the same shoes. I wasn't crazy about Adams - the brunette that was the prison doc and then joined at the end. I think the character was interesting, but not convinced that the casting was right. I never quite bought it from her. And yeah, Charlyne Yi was very entertaining, and her character was sort of weird enough to fit into House's teams of misfits, but something never felt quite right. I think that was one of the biggest flaws of the last season - the chemistry between the actors never clicked they way they did in earlier episodes.

As for the finale - I do like how it ended but like you, I rolled eyes *hard* at how they got there. The tickets down the toilet? Wow, they were really stretching there. House was childish but he was more imaginative than that. I understand they were trying to put his back up against the wall to make him realize that he couldn't just regress into his old ways and to force a choice out of him, but there were better ways to do that. It's one of my pet peeves - when writers ignore plausibility and consistency (either in a character's behavior or laws or physics...) for the sake of advancing the plot that they already want to happen. Yes, faking his own death to be with Wilson in his last months was a good ending. But if they couldn't get there organically without forcing the issue, then maybe they should have gone with a different ending. The season had its moments, to be sure, but it always felt to me like it was pushing a little too hard.

The last few scenes, though, were great - the funeral, the little vignette when you realize that Forman figured it all out, the bikes. I had a gazillion questions about what would happen after they ride off on their bikes. Does he go off Vicodin? Does Wilson somehow keep writing scrips, and if so, isn't that a tip off that he's writing them for House since he can't write them for himself? After Wilson dies, does House stay "dead"? I like to imagine him take on a whole new identity and become a lounge piano player or something :laughing: It's not like he could ever practice medicine again, even if he did turn himself in to complete his sentence and probably serve his new one (I imagine there would be new charges of some sort.)
I remember that episode about House and Foreman and the shoes, LOL! That was funny. Foreman was a mini house, and then they had that whole storyline of Foreman going elsewhere only to act like House, get fired, and then have to go back to work for House again. Very interesting.

I wasn’t crazy about Adams, either. I liked her in the prison, but it kind of felt like she never fully embraced the character—whether by her fault or whether she was told to turn it down. At the beginning, I felt like she was going to be a really good character, but then it just fizzled.

You’re spot on, the chemistry of the characters did not work at all. The original three were great, and I liked the second set, as well (which includes Kutner, Thirteen, Taub, Chase, and Foreman). Keeping Chase was their only saving grace when Park and Adams were in the picture.

I LOVED IT when Foreman figured it out. That was great. It was a combination of I can’t believe, what the actual F, and that’s House. Ha, a lounge piano player would make sense. I also had so many questions! Like, what happened with all of their money? Seriously, they must have made bank. They were department heads at a hospital—that’s probably what, like several hundred thousand dollars a year? House and Wilson both lived like bachelor’s, so they must have had savings... House wouldn’t have been able to tap into that after he “died”, unless he “took care of it” beforehand, which knowing House, he would have done. Same with Wilson.

Agree, I don’t think he’d ever be able to work again as a doctor, unless he tried the whole hire a doctor online thing that Kutner tried. Hahaha.

Right, the money! I mean, I'm sure they both had plenty of it, but how did House get access to his? I don't think he was planning to fake his own death, or even kill himself, so I don't see how he could have gotten his money out of the bank before he went into that building to get high. And if it wasn't a plan but he just saw the opportunity after the building blew up, wouldn't it have been suspicious if suddenly his bank accounts were emptied after he was supposedly dead?

I do enjoy the more open-ended series finales like this that allows us to imagine how we want the story to keep going, but then my brain constantly returns to these logistical details and wonders how they make that work.Because of course, if these things aren't worked out, then that must mean that House gets caught pretty quickly and ends up going to jail anyway, and Wilson dies alone in a hospital, just like he doesn't want...and that's just not acceptable, therefore, House and Wilson have somehow managed to sort out their finances and House's addiction so they could have a good ending ;)

Chris Plummer in "The Tempest"

This is available from Dec 3, 2020 for 36 hours. If you read this the day I post it, you might get to see it. I did.

"LIVE VIEWING PARTY: The Tempest ft. Christopher Plummer",
posted Dec 4, 2020 by "Stratford Festival", [Full Length 2:52:30 LONG, also available in 3 parts, see description]
""

It's Dec 5th now and the link still works. I wondered about that. Apparently the 36 hr. limit was in regard to the "Premiere" stream version, which I guess was probably higher quality. Apparently the link I posted was max'ed at 480 p. I didn't notice. I thought the production was great! I have seen the Tempest before on TV and this group had some very different reads of the characters. It was a darker presentation with deeper anger in Prospero. And Miranda was seriously angry with Prospero in the opening. That was something I didn't expect.

The Tempest, and The Winter's Tale were comedies near the end of Shakespeare's career and both were darker than earlier comedies like Twelfth Night or Midsummer's Night's Dream, which are two of my favorites. The Winter's Tale was a story of of jealousy and unjust punishment and The Tempest was retribution. Plummer played it very cold. The end doesn't seem to fit as well where he forgives his brother. When you see his scheming and lack of remorse, I think Prospero had better watch his back when they return home, and I don't believe that Prospero doesn't know it. It's not over.

It was a great presentation. I wish I could watch more like it, but I don't have the time. . . .

UPDATE Dec 9, 2020 22:31

The link has gone "private". I guess it was a limited time thing after all. Glad I got to watch it. I won't be "signing up" for their service. I don't really have the time. . . .

Last edited:
Replays of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes.

On House:

Anyway.

Right, the money! I mean, I'm sure they both had plenty of it, but how did House get access to his? I don't think he was planning to fake his own death, or even kill himself, so I don't see how he could have gotten his money out of the bank before he went into that building to get high. And if it wasn't a plan but he just saw the opportunity after the building blew up, wouldn't it have been suspicious if suddenly his bank accounts were emptied after he was supposedly dead?

I do enjoy the more open-ended series finales like this that allows us to imagine how we want the story to keep going, but then my brain constantly returns to these logistical details and wonders how they make that work.Because of course, if these things aren't worked out, then that must mean that House gets caught pretty quickly and ends up going to jail anyway, and Wilson dies alone in a hospital, just like he doesn't want...and that's just not acceptable, therefore, House and Wilson have somehow managed to sort out their finances and House's addiction so they could have a good ending ;)
Agh, I didn’t think about that, about House not necessarily planning it! Totally agree, the open ended finale worked really well here. I envision a good ending, because that’s what I want to believe, LOL. If you asked me when I first started the show how it would end, I’d imagine anything but that ending.

I still miss not watching it. Now I can’t wait until Avenue 5 to come out with another season, so I can see Hugh Laurie again.

@SquarePeg , wife and I just finished The Queen’s Gambit. What just happened. So much to discuss!

That was a beautifully shot series. And now I have to go out and buy a chess set. I used to play so much in middle and high school. Gotta get back into it! I also want to read the novel!

I’ll put anything more in spoiler tags.

Mrs likes the snooker so we are watching that at the moment

Computer monitor, rather than the TV: Nailed It! on Netflix.

If you are not familiar, three home-bakers try to duplicate a pro-made pastry. It can be hilarious.

I finally started watching The West Wing, and am pleasantly surprised by how much I like it!

Of course, Netflix is taking it off on the 25th. Ho ho ho.

It's apparently moving to HBO Max, which we've never bothered signing up for. Chasing shows around is a pita! We'll probably do it eventually.

Just finished The Queen's Gambit and loved it.

Probably going to start watching The Mandalorian after Christmas. Gotta sign up for Disney+ first, and the first thing I will watch is the last Star Wars movie that I still haven't seen.

In the meantime, I just sort of jump around - a few episodes of Portlandia here, the ubiqutious Law and Order there...I am also prone to rewatching shows that I like - and not just once. It's apparently a thing for people with anxiety.

We finally finished The Queen's Gambit last night. So good!!!! I loved the final scene so much. The whole production was perfect - I predict some awards coming!

Most reactions

Back