What are you watching on TV right now?

She is the first women to be the presidential choice by a major political party. That is historic. I texted to my granddaughter that she too could be president someday.

Watched it with my 13 year old daughter and we were both moved by the significance of the moment. Even a typically bored by it all teenager got it.

Bloomberg's speech was good last night.

Also, finished Stranger Things yesterday. Liked the ending. Similarities to other shows, but I won't divulge too much for those that haven't seen it.

Battlebots is really good tonight. Some really exciting matches with some really unique changes to their robots. The pretty pink robot with their plastic ladybug capture device just beat the #4 seed.

The final day of the DNC. God bless you Khizr Khan and your family.

I refuse to watch anymore......
You missed some powerful testimony, including a speech from General Allen. In particular, I think you would have related to Khizr Khan. I suspect what inspired Captain Khan to take his final tens steps is similar to what motivates you to move.

The final day of the DNC. God bless you Khizr Khan and your family.

Such a powerful and moving speech. Haunting words that will stay with me.

I never said she was the best. I am not making a subjective political statement. She is the first women to be the presidential choice by a major political party. That is historic. I texted to my granddaughter that she too could be president someday.

I have personally seen and experience the difficulties and hard work required for a minority candidate to fight their way to win an elected office which has only been held by the majority. Blazing a trail is extremely difficult.

It is irrelevant whether you like Clinton or not, whether you think she is the best or not, we should all salute Hillary Clinton for her presidential accomplishment and clearing a path for other women to follow.

On some level I agree but at the same time a position like presidency should not take such things into consideration. Race, gender and orientation are all inconsequential to the ability to do the job properly.

But considering it's all a three ring circus where wealthy corporations trot out their dancing clown that they have bought and paid for I can't get too worked up over it.
I agree that race, gender, ethnicity, et cetera 'shouldn't' be a consideration for any elected office. But that isn't the de facto case, we all look at race, religion, gender et al before deciding who we vote for. How much we allow said traits and characterizational biases based upon those traits, affect our voting choices is an individualistic matter. There was a 102 y/o delegate at the DNC. When 'she' was born, women did not have the right to vote. Within her lifetime, women have gone from unable to vote, to being the presidential choice from a major political party. That is historic. I feel this country is moving forward towards and hopefully a day those who greatly affected by gender, ethnicity, religion, the color of one's skin will be a tiny minority, while those who are moved by a candidate's position on issues, resumes and the strength of their character, will be a clear majority.

As to your last remark, I choose to take the high road. :)

I have a hard time with the whole "first women" thing. Women have been leaders of nations all over the world for decades. If anything its sad and embarassing that it's taken America this long to nominate a woman. It's like saying "I finally learned how to wear pants, it only took me 35 years."

Female world leaders

Umm, actually if memory serves the first woman to run for President of the United States was back in 1872.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Umm, actually if memory serves the first woman to run for President of the United States was back in 1872.

Victoria Woodhull

I did reference 'from a major political party'.

Yes, sadly we are behind other countries in this and other areas. But we are a big ship and it takes a lot of time to change/modify the direction of a large ship.

Guess it sort of depends on your sense of history I guess. She wasn't the only woman to run for President back then, just the first. Their supporters eventually got an amendment to the constitution passed that granted women the right to vote. That's pretty "major" by my standards.

I also find it pretty funny that more recently the opposition party didn't get much credit from certain quarters when they nominated a woman for vice president. Nobody talked about how great a thing that was, instead she was vilified. So I guess it's only "historic" if you support the right political positions. That's how it seems to an outside observer such as myself, who has no love for either party.

I also find it pretty funny that more recently the opposition party didn't get much credit from certain quarters when they nominated a woman for vice president. Nobody talked about how great a thing that was, instead she was vilified. So I guess it's only "historic" if you support the right political positions. That's how it seems to an outside observer such as myself, who has no love for either party.
Using the same argument: the first US vice presidential candidate wasn't Sarah Palin, so there was nothing "historic" about it.

The first female VP was Marietta Stow in 1884, according to Wikipedia.

Aside from Ms. Palin's extensive foreign policy experience being in close proximity to Russia (apologies for the sarcasm), she was grossly underqualified for the position and was celebrated for qualities that should have removed her from any short lists for major political office. That "vilification", as you put it, had nothing to do with her being a woman, it had to do with her being a horrible pick for VP.

Umm.. also, started to pick up with Orange is the New Black after finishing Stranger Things.

Only a few more OITNB episodes left. It's getting good. My wife is actually friends with one of the cast members, so that's pretty neat.

Aside from Ms. Palin's extensive foreign policy experience being in close proximity to Russia (apologies for the sarcasm), she was grossly underqualified for the position and was celebrated for qualities that should have removed her from any short lists for major political office. That "vilification", as you put it, had nothing to do with her being a woman, it had to do with her being a horrible pick for VP.

Umm.. well, I would point out that there are plenty of folks who believe the same about Mrs. Clinton, that she is grossly unqualified, but that was immediately discounted in the original premise that all we should focus on was the "historic" nature of it.

So working within that premise, it was first pointed out that Ms. Clinton was not the first. The argument then became about it being the first for a "major" political party. So if one accepts that premise and rejects the notion that the political party that did nominate the first woman as a presidential candidate was not "major" enough then one must also accept the same premise about the vice-presidential nominations.

See, you really need to be able to stick to one set of rules and standards here for both current political parties, and frankly, your not.

Now, working with your premise, we can't really get into the qualified/unqualified debate for either - since that would certainly land us firmly in the realm of politics. I just find it rather amusing that people from both sides of the aisle always want to apply one standard to the folks that agree with them politically, and a completely different standard to the opposition party.

Most reactions

Back