What area do you feel you need to improve in the most?

saycheese76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently switched from MF b&w to digital. Now the weather/light has been crap since I got my new camera, but I haven't gotten into a creative "groove" yet. I know I'll eventually get it sorted as long as I keep at it, so I just need to shift away from the tripod, spot meter, zone system mentality and start enjoying the aspects of photography that I am unfamiliar with. What facet of the craft have you identified as the next step in your progression as a photographer?
Jason

The only area I need to improve in is motivation. I think it has been all the hours I have worked at my real job and, the fact the weather has turned to crap. I may hit up the Grand Canyon and see if I can find some Big Horn sheep to shoot. Or maybe Antelope Canyon with all the snow we have.

The only area I need to improve in is motivation. I think it has been all the hours I have worked at my real job and, the fact the weather has turned to crap. I may hit up the Grand Canyon and see if I can find some Big Horn sheep to shoot. Or maybe Antelope Canyon with all the snow we have.
I've seen a bunch of MTB photos in AZ. You have some stunning terrain there. In the PNW, wintertime is tough as well. Even if it's not raining, everything is blah/washed out. Hope you get out there and shoot!

I need to break out the tripod more often, have been considering to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Sekonic light meter, pick up and read a book by Ansel. :biggrin:

I want to work on and understand lighting more. I have two speedlights and will pick up another soon enough. I have all these ideas running around in my heads for people shots, but alas...... no peoples.

I have a Fuji S5700 superzoom, bought for Christmas last year. I could definitely improve on the equipment end. Not going to happen for a very long time though.

I would also put myself in the "everything" category - but I get frustrated because I know I have the camera to stop the action I need but sometimes I can't do it 100% - (I don't want 98%, I want 100%) I will play with shutter speed and everything but there are times when I can't get the horses in motion to be crystal clear.

And it bugs the hell out of me. So I just keep trying and trying.

I would say everywhere, but the real technical stuff (anything with a number) is my biggest weakness.

I need to break out the tripod more often, have been considering to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Sekonic light meter, pick up and read a book by Ansel.
kundalini, it looks like we need to switch spots!

I am goign to be buying a SB-600 soon, so I will definately have to work on the lighting. I also want to get into more portrait type pictures, so that's another thing to work on. Oh...there's so much to work on and not enough time or good weather for it.

I will say everything as well (only been doing this a year ;))
but at the top of my list is learning to look at the whole frame and not just the middle - way too many of my shots are ruind because I have cut of tails or legs or wings. Till I get that sorted I can't progess with composition and any technical advance is not going to be used to the best effect.

- but I get frustrated because I know I have the camera to stop the action I need but sometimes I can't do it 100% - (I don't want 98%, I want 100%) I will play with shutter speed and everything but there are times when I can't get the horses in motion to be crystal clear.

And it bugs the hell out of me. So I just keep trying and trying.

Don't get frustrated. Freezing action is not difficult, and if you are challenged by it, it is becuase your understanding of the basics are not firmly in place... and the good news is that they are easy to get down. Also, please don't think that even the most consummate of photographers can shoot perfect pictures 100% of the time.

Photography comes with patience and practice. Have fun! :)

For me... all the technical stuff is a walk in the park, it always has been. I can reverse engineer a picture and come darn close to knowing how it was lit and by what. However, my weakest areas are composition and directing the model(s) to do do what I want, so in that sense, I lack vision and experience. It is improving a lot, though as I am fortunate enough to have access to a group with some very talented people and I am starting to rack up the experience needed.

but at the top of my list is learning to look at the whole frame and not just the middle - way too many of my shots are ruind because I have cut of tails or legs or wings.
That is so frustrating, isn't it? I don't have a problem now with cutting stuff off, I'm fine getting my subject on the frame. My problem is paying attention to the background. We did a little "photoshoot" with the kids outside for Christmas photos. My wife and I were looking at them on the computer and while she is going all nuts about how much she loves them, I'm staring at the clothsline pole that is miraculously growing out of my daughter's head, EVERY shot.

I pointed out the pole to my wife and from that point on, every photo we brought up on the display, she was, "there's that pole..."

We did another shoot later on and that time, my wife kept asking every couple of seconds, "anything growing out of their heads?" LOL

Most reactions

Back